Cold Prey

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Cold Prey

Post by AdeBrown »

Put aside any thoughts of "oh look, some kids going off the beaten track and getting murdered one by one" being a very familiar story. Even if it was scripted by set pieces, this was a nice film. Engaging cast, generally resourceful characters.

I've been known to say that there are those stalker films that make you look forward to the characters getting offed, and those that make you care (and perhaps even hope that they survive. Well okay probably not in this genre.)

This was the latter. Very nice to look at ... I mean the scenery. And not too forced in its dramatic tension.
The ending was accompanied with a sort of "Walking in the air" choirboy, but thankfully that was replaced by some kiddy-punk song "All of my friends are dead".
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

By the numbers slasher movie, but done well. Good use of setting.

8/10
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

An overall strong day started brilliantly with my favourite film of the weekend. This isn't one I was particularly looking forward to but I ended up really liking it.

They did a great job of creating characters I liked and cared about, so when the killings started I really didn't want anyone to die. There were no elaborate deaths but it didn't need them.

And the killer was big and looked scary.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Good character development meant that you actually cared about what happened to them.

Enjoyed this.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Totally agree with the above comments. Great snow setting with a Yeti size killer. Strong likeable characters you hoped would survive. Did remind a bit of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

i really enjoyed this...yes nothing new in it but there very rarely is...but brilliantly played out and a great movie
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Agree with Jekyll on the characters. Excellent use of the location and the end song "all my friends are dead" was a fun touch. Well worth watching.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

joshua
a difficult one this,dont know how they are going to market this movie, it bugged me a lot,the creepy kid scenario still it paid off in its shocks im pleased i saw it.
but its not a date movie nor is it going to easy to fit in the cinemas with so
much screen space being taken up with other films with a stronger cast and easier to find an audience for.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

oopsie wrong thread...

Yeah Cold Prey wasz pretty enjoyable.... as they go :)
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

This was ok - watchable and well shot but suffered from a lack of any tension
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Good solid shocker, looked great up on that big screen - played very well I think.
First things first, stay calm.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Beautifully shot, very well acted, and an engaging story. Again, one of my favourites of the festival, and I hope Metrodome can give it at least a small theatrical run...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

What's been said already - liked the feel of this, the characters were people you cared about, and the setting was amazing to look at.

I found it unusual that we still know nothing about the killer when the film ends - not that it was necessary, but I felt there must be something that started off his killing spree several years before.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Someone said in the bar afterwards that the newspaper montage (lacking enough subtitles to explain) said that the family lost their son as a publicity hype for the hotel but he returned the next year having survived the chasm and wreaked his rewengee.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I just remembered something that made me laugh. The bit where they climb to the top of that mountain near the start and they're all like "wow, look at that" and what were they looking at? More bloody mountains!
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.