DRAG ME TO HELL WITH SAM RAIMI 24 MAY AT THE ICA

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Giz
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Giz »

Thanks for the heads up!

Has a frightfest membership ever been brought up?

I would be happy to pay a yearly amount to be able to get better access to events spread across the year,discounts at cinema store etc,and it would put some money in the frightfest kitty!
Any thoughts?
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

That idea about turning up just to meet hims a good one richard! :D But that would just be mean!

Is there anyone whose going to the event in and around london friday? I'd love to go but alas... Buuut i would really be grateful if there was someone who could get me my rue-morgue copy signed? I'm going up to the cinema store and to the curzon to pick up my 'american werewolf' ticket for next month, so if there IS anyone who can help me, that would be cool. I'd of course bring an envelope to send it back to me plus postage.

If it's possible, then they'll be drinks at the 'landis' event or failing that, people know i'm good for a few rounds at frightfest! :D
django
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by django »

Giz wrote:Thanks for the heads up!

Has a frightfest membership ever been brought up?

I would be happy to pay a yearly amount to be able to get better access to events spread across the year,discounts at cinema store etc,and it would put some money in the frightfest kitty!
Any thoughts?
I'm not sure about a Frightfest membership, the logistics of it would be very tricky and I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it (I've already put around £1500 in the Frightfest kitty over the years!), but something should be done to protect the hardcore if situations like what's just happened really are unavoidable, in fact that's part of the reason I'm so annoyed about this, it's not just the fact that I (and a lot of other people) desperately wanted to be going to the Sam Raimi event but I wont be, but it's also the fact that one of the great things about Frightfest has always been the united atmosphere and vibe you get there, the guys themselves have always made a big thing of the "Frightfest family" and I find it a bit disapointing that on this occasion it seems little consideration was given to the "Frightfest family", there are quite a lot of us who've supported Frightfest since day one, have travelled the length of the country to go to the shows and some people here even spent in excess of 24 hours queuing up for tickets for the August event last year, so come on guys, we deserve better than this!. Don't get me wrong, I still am a fan and supporter of Frightfest but I must admit a part of me is wondering if this is a sign of a shift in the motivation for doing it now that it's got so big, if that is the case then it's a great shame!.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

django wrote:
I'm not sure about a Frightfest membership, the logistics of it would be very tricky and I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it (I've already put around £1500 in the Frightfest kitty over the years!), but something should be done to protect the hardcore if situations like what's just happened really are unavoidable, in fact that's part of the reason I'm so annoyed about this, it's not just the fact that I (and a lot of other people) desperately wanted to be going to the Sam Raimi event but I wont be, but it's also the fact that one of the great things about Frightfest has always been the united atmosphere and vibe you get there, the guys themselves have always made a big thing of the "Frightfest family" and I find it a bit disapointing that on this occasion it seems little consideration was given to the "Frightfest family", there are quite a lot of us who've supported Frightfest since day one, have travelled the length of the country to go to the shows and some people here even spent in excess of 24 hours queuing up for tickets for the August event last year, so come on guys, we deserve better than this!. Don't get me wrong, I still am a fan and supporter of Frightfest but I must admit a part of me is wondering if this is a sign of a shift in the motivation for doing it now that it's got so big, if that is the case then it's a great shame!.
Dude, no offence but that was just slightly negative don’t you think? The festival has to change as it gets bigger. We’ve gone from the PCC (I started going back then-2001 was my first year) to a bigger venue, everyone has to adapt to keep a company going

The ICA is hosting the event so have the right to advertise it how they wanted, just like the PCC putting the Spring Awaking day online and in the venue before the guys announced it. There is always going to be unhappy people who miss out but it’s the luck of the draw! It’s not a Them and Us thing… New People Vs Hardcore etc.

New people are going to join every year and this is the part of the family, it’s a growing family! We all have to adapt and move on. The way you’re talking about “The Hardcore needing seats” makes you sound elitist like you don’t want it to be for anyone new or anyone who might be interested and as someone who has been going for years I don’t want to be lumped into that type of category. I have no problem with new people if you think about it a lot of regulars on this board are “new” and have only been attending for a couple of years… but they go to all the little events so are they part of the “hardcore” or are they just newbies? People come and enjoy themselves

I have never been in the Sleepy queue yet got the weekend seats I wanted, I ring up for the ICA knowing it will be popular but I managed to get a ticket its all down to luck and I called up I didn’t queue form god knows what time.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I wonder if the reason for using the ICA is simply that the idea came up at the last minute and they just couldn't get into the Prince Charles or the NFT's existing schedules. It's not like the main event or Halloween, or the the PChas one-dayers when these things are planned months in advance.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

streetrw wrote:I wonder if the reason for using the ICA is simply that the idea came up at the last minute and they just couldn't get into the Prince Charles or the NFT's existing schedules. It's not like the main event or Halloween, or the the PChas one-dayers when these things are planned months in advance.
We know it was down to venue's not being availible for that date so they took the only venue they could so they could put the event on for us and unfortunately sometimes people miss out and when they do sometimes Ian or Paul will sift out the desperados and offer them the chance to go.

Unfortunately for this one with the ICA being sooo teeny weeny, they can't do that.

The guys are Uber (Especially Mr iOmega) and they do try their hardest to keep us forumites happy :) so stop yer bellyachin I'm sure with the reception Mr Raimi gets from the Festers that are already going, he'll come back for more with his next horrific release :)

Yeah we pay the dosh, we panic when tickets go on sale but that's only because we love the genre and the folks we get to meet at these things, Celebs and Festers alike... :P

I'm prolly going to the sleepy queue this year on me burfday to make sure I get tickets for auguest because it was just so damn silly last year trying to book weekend passes :)
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

i am proper gutted about missing this and i think some valid points have been raised in this thread already. i would like to see some priority given to frightfest supporters when special one-off events like this come along.
django
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by django »

Dude, no offence but that was just slightly negative don’t you think?...

...The way you’re talking about “The Hardcore needing seats” makes you sound elitist like you don’t want it to be for anyone new or anyone who might be interested
No offence taken, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me, lively debate can only be a good thing, perhaps I have blown things a bit out of proportion here and being a bit too negative, I do seem to be taking the fact I'm not going to this event a lot worse than anyone else here, it's just a huge disapointment to me that Frightfest are putting on an event in London and I wont be there, and of all the events to miss it's this one!

I'm not elitist at all, I'm so pleased that Frightfest gets bigger and better every year and any one is welcome, new or old as far as I'm concerned, I wanna see that Empire completely packed in August, it'll be brilliant, but, when an event is put on and it's obvious that the demand for tickets is gonna far outweigh the supply then I believe the hardcore should come first, it sounds as though people who could get to the cinema in person or had access to the website came first this time.
We know it was down to venue's not being availible for that date
I should really wait to hear what the guys have to say on this subject before being too harsh on them and for that I apologise but as it stands at the moment we don't know the ICA was chosen because other venues were booked (unless of course you do know!), there was a post regarding this but it's now been deleted so we don't know what the exact wording was, I do find it hard to believe that Odeon, VUE and Cineworld were all contacted and they all said "no thanks, we don't want to show Drag me to Hell with Director and cast in attendance to a full auditorium, we'd rather show Angels & Demons/Night at the Museum 2 or whatever to a quarter full auditorium!", I guess we'll have to wait for the guys to get back from Cannes for the full story.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

The PCC has the Terracotta Far East Film Festival on there all that weekend so there's no way that could have taken the film this time.

As for one of the bigger West End cinemas taking the film, I'm not sure... obviously us FrightFesters are *huge* Raimi fans but would a preview of this nature really fill up the Empire or the Vue? I'm not sure... and there's something to be said for the intimacy of a venue like the ICA, plus FrightFest's loyalty to the venue having held the all-nighters there...

Again, just speculation, but the distributors and Mr Raimi himself might have asked for a low-key event... remember, The Eye preview with Jessica Alba was held in a tiny screening room for only 30 lucky attendees.

However, I don't mean to dismiss django's comments... as a 'hardcore' FF'er myself I can totally understand his frustration at not being able to get a ticket, and if I were in the same position [it's irrelevant for me this time as I can't go anyway] then I would be equally frustrated too - and I think back to the scramble to try and get all-nighter tickets! However, there's no easy solution to events like this where there will be a demand greater to the number of tickets... it's simply not fair to discriminate between the 'hardcore' crowd and the 'newbies' - FF has always prided itself in being a welcoming event and I think we have to accept it will keep growing and there will always be new fans joining, and that's a good thing, it keeps it fresh and organic.

The suggestion of a 'membership' system is interesting, but I think in practice it would either be seen as elitist or favouring those that have the extra money to pay for it! Perhaps a fairer way would be for FF newsletter subscribers to have a priority booking period (maybe 24 hrs) for one-off events before they go on general sale, in the same way that many bands make gig tickets available for their mailing lists? Again, not always practical when cinemas like the ICA/NFT have their own members, but it's just a thought...

Anyway, that's more than enough waffle from me!
First things first, stay calm.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Django,i did see the post from Ian and i have no idea,how or why it was removed.
its easier to accept that for anyone living in london these events are easy to get to and tickets will go to those able to turn up or those quick enough on the phones, i could have tried and if i got tickets i would have had to drive too and from London,so i sat this out,but if i had got tickets would that mean i was more entitled to go than someone who's 1st event was going to be this one?
There is always going to be contoversy over the use of the ICA for FF events we saw this same thing arise for the allnighter in 2007 in the company of George Romero,and that was my second FF event,but i was equally just as entitled to go as anybody else.
i would hate to see a hardcore element arise who always had the 1st pick of tickets thats unfair,as who decides? how can you prove yourself are a hardcore member,some folks are travelling from manchester to this event now thats hardcore or if i drove would that be classed as hardcore.
i dont get upset because the NFT or BFI sold out its blade runner screening or benjamin button,its just luck and timing.
i figure the reason the ICA is used often as its acessable and its an intimate venue and also sells out quickly,which looks good and creates demand for future events like this one.
i would also like to say that because i do a blog,it gives me no more favours ticket wise than anybody else of the forums or off the street,but wouldnt it be great if it did. :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

I'm not elitist at all... but, when an event is put on and it's obvious that the demand for tickets is gonna far outweigh the supply then I believe the hardcore should come first.
But that is elitism regardless whether you mean it that way or not. The ICA and FF obv' went for some damage limitation with regards to this event by imposing the 4 tickets per punter rule. Ive seen (for the March event especially) people walk out with many many many tickets.

Last minute events mean not everything can go according to some ideal perfomance model. Im not sure what a previous poster meant by having "weeks" notice of this event when i thought it was an eleventh hour approach to FF by Lionsgate . Do we really want to say we are event like that where a select few are given advance warning above others? what criteria would that be based on? who is more equal than others? who is most hardcore within the hardcore?

Everyone understands perfectly the frustrations of those who missed out and these complaints are not baseless. But to let it spiral into something bigger that leads to all sorts of unpleasantries and "head starts to our mates" attitudes is counter productive. i speak from experience here.

Talk of membership is often brought up and sometimes it seems a good idea and other times a bad one. We all pay the required price so are all techincally equal (as with everything tho theres equal and then theres equal). Heck we all remember the days when we didnt have to take days off work for FF events

Theres probably all sorts of politics and business matters that goes into running an event that we have no clue about, so perhaps there were reasons a particular post was removed.

Frustrations and all are perfectly understood by everyone here and a certain level of bitterness (for want of a better word) cant help but seep through, but no its not fair to those who paid if people just turn up to get stuff signed by Raimi. His appearence there is being funded by the paying audience.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:I'm going up to the cinema store and to the curzon to pick up my 'american werewolf' ticket for next month,

If it's possible, then they'll be drinks at the 'landis' event or failing that, people know i'm good for a few rounds at frightfest! :D
Huh?

What Landis event? Is he coming? And is American werewolf in london showing on the big screen? Why the hell didn't I know !! :shock:
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Goosebumps
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Goosebumps »

I'm an ICA member, we did get an email about the event... I managed to get a ticket but a friend of mine who is also an ICA member didnt

We pay to be members of the ICA yet we had to fit in to the First come First serve

For Spring Awaking PCC memebers also had to fit into that

There are people who are members of both the ICA and PCC who had to wait just like everyone else to get tickets so having "Hardcore" vs "Newbees" would be silly I've been a member of the ICA for ages that would make me "Hardcore" to them and other poeple who are members might fell they should get tickets first but you just have to go with it and book what you can
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

maxmum wrote:
Rue-morgue Jay wrote:I'm going up to the cinema store and to the curzon to pick up my 'american werewolf' ticket for next month,

Huh?

What Landis event? Is he coming? And is American werewolf in london showing on the big screen? Why the hell didn't I know !! :shock:
:D :D :D

Hmmm.. :SMUG MODE ON:

Check the site under EVENTS of MIDNIGHT MOVIES.
django
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by django »

Quote:
I'm not elitist at all... but, when an event is put on and it's obvious that the demand for tickets is gonna far outweigh the supply then I believe the hardcore should come first.

But that is elitism regardless whether you mean it that way or not.
Okay!, I do seem to have contradicted myself a bit there, thinking it about it further though, would a bit of "elitism" really be that bad?, as already stated on here, a lot of bands give priority booking to mailing list subscribers/fan club members, premiership football teams give priority booking for big cup matches to season ticket holders (I believe international matches have a similar procedure) so it is something that happens, and don't forget, most Frightfest events would be unaffected, it would still be very much a "come one, come all" atmosphere for virtually all events, it would only really be when an event is held at the ICA where people would benefit from sort of loyalty programme.
Perhaps a fairer way would be for FF newsletter subscribers to have a priority booking period
Not a bad idea but I'd imagine there are thousands of people on the mailing list (and a lot more would sign up if it meant priority tickets) so there would probably be no benefit, maybe a better idea would be to say that purchasing a weekend pass to the August event gave you priority access to tickets for the next 12 months.