The Human Centipede

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

When I saw Martyrs last year, I remember thinking it was more of an experience than a film...and Human Centipede was pretty much the same thing, although it was far better cos it had a wicked sense of humour, whereas Martyrs was completely drab and humourless.

Dieter Laser really made this film, some of his lines were just awesome, particularly "I don't like human beings!", and the scene where he's trying to get the centepede to be his pet dog and bring him the paper strangley managed to be amusing, but unbelievably fucked up at the same time!

From the write up, I was expecting to be grossed out, but as has been mentioned, we never really saw the gruesome details, although I've gotta say the "I'm going to shit!" scene did make me feel physically sick, one of the grossest scenes I've ever seen.

And although it was amusing most of the way through, I actually found the end to be very bleak and depressing - girl unable to move and everyone around her dead, with nothing to do but slowly wait for herself to die with some guy's arse welded to her face and her dead best friend sewn to her anus.

Overall, this was a great addition to the line - sick, funny and bizarre....just what we need!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Really enjoyed this one. I was intrigued how a Human Centipede can be created. Seeing them stitched to each other. Really good effects, that makes you think it takes one person have a ripped mouth.

That scene of " Eat, Eat, Feed her" i certainly gulped at the horrid thought of it. I thought the filmmakers could of gone overboard on the subject matter but did not.

Be interesting to see the sequel of 15 people in a Human Centipede. The Human Stitched Conga!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

Wolfshade wrote:And although it was amusing most of the way through, I actually found the end to be very bleak and depressing - girl unable to move and everyone around her dead, with nothing to do but slowly wait for herself to die with some guy's arse welded to her face and her dead best friend sewn to her anus.
I'm sorry but this made me laugh really hard.

Can't wait to see it. Michael Bay is keeping this stuff out of cinemas.
mart
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by mart »

The shit eating scene was the most disgusting, those slimy wet sounds made me feel so sick :shock:
http://www.myspace.com/musicnarts
mart
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by mart »

The shit eating scene was the most disgusting, those slimy wet sounds made me feel so sick :shock:
http://www.myspace.com/musicnarts
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

The Human Centipede was a huge surprise for me - I expected it to be utter shite and when the film started I thought "Yep, utter shite alright." But once the girls were drugged and the three victims were being talked through the surgery - basically when the film started going a bit mental - I thoroughly enjoyed it. As the film went on I stopped noticing the awful picture quality (I was in row K so god knows how it must have looked for the guys right at the front) and I think that's a testament to the captivating power The Human Centipede has.

It was probably the most unpredictable film of the festival.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Possibly one of the strangest films I've ever seen next to The Begotten. Some of the scenes did what they were suppose to and make you feel uneasy and grossed out, the Q and A for this film was so funny.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Wolfshade wrote:I actually found the end to be very bleak and depressing - girl unable to move and everyone around her dead, with nothing to do but slowly wait for herself to die with some guy's arse welded to her face and her dead best friend sewn to her anus.
I'm pretty sure that before too long, when the two cops didn't report back to the station, there would be back up sent to the address they were going to. The girl would be found and it's likely that someone would be able to separate her from the others.

So I didn't think the end was that bleak as far as she was concerned. She'd be scarred physically and mentally and her best friend would be dead, but at least she'd be alive.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
i-went-to-frightfest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by i-went-to-frightfest »

just thought this was the dumbest most idiotic movie, a 1 joke movie it didnt work for me as a horror, it was just silly so many things didnt work in it...though i did laugh at the...mmmm shes seems alittle constipated scene...and medically accurate i always thought and i could be wrong waste is waste...just a really silly movie. the demented doc did put in quite a good perfomance though and reminded me alittle of lance henrickson
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Laymonite wrote:
Wolfshade wrote:I actually found the end to be very bleak and depressing - girl unable to move and everyone around her dead, with nothing to do but slowly wait for herself to die with some guy's arse welded to her face and her dead best friend sewn to her anus.
I'm pretty sure that before too long, when the two cops didn't report back to the station, there would be back up sent to the address they were going to. The girl would be found and it's likely that someone would be able to separate her from the others.

So I didn't think the end was that bleak as far as she was concerned. She'd be scarred physically and mentally and her best friend would be dead, but at least she'd be alive.
Was also bleak in the sense that she'd just seen the policeman burst in and must have thought she was about to be rescued, but as she was immobile she'd have had no idea he'd been killed and would have just been there waiting in vain.

I'd say the chances of her surviving something like that were very slim unless help turned up extremely quickly - immobile, naked and with her mouth full of a dead guy's shit...her friend died quickly from the situation and I can't have imagined she'd have lasted much longer.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

I like weird films and they don't come much stranger than this i guess.
The lead reminded me a lot of Christopher Walken by his mannerisms, i could imagine him playing the part as well.
Would love to see the sequel with a fifteen part centipede, not sure if the director was joking or serious but i'd like to them do it.
Tom Sixx was a real character and it was really interesting listening to him. Myself also being a big Cronenberg fan is another reason i really enjoyed the experience of watching this movie.
macready
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by macready »

Didn't really rate this one at all - I thought I'd be in for one twisted, sick ride along the lines of early Cronenberg. But, the first half was depressingly conventional and once you get over the central concept (which I knew well in advance), there's not a huge amount to it. The ending also wasn't particularly bleak - it's pretty clear that someone else will be along well before she's in any further physical danger.

The actor playing the doctor was great though, and it was a confidently directed debut. I just hope the follow-up will be more ambitious in the head-f*ck stakes.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

It's not gonna win any oscars is it?

It left me feeling ill and had several look away from the screen moments. It was nasty in all the right places and enjoyable and great fun.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

i-went-to-frightfest wrote:and medically accurate i always thought and i could be wrong waste is waste...
That's what I thought too. I'm no expert but surely the body takes all the nutrients it needs and gets rid of the rest as pooh? But I suppose it's probably more that it's medically accurate in so much as that is how it would work practically. Meaning that maybe the mad scientist was wrong and that the two girls would eventually die of malnutrition.

I agree with the people who say that, apart from the centipede concept, it's really a standard kidnapping horror film. But that's what I liked about it too. I was worried it might be overly arty/quirky and be inaccessible. But the fact that it was really a straight forward horror film with a UPS (unique selling point) helped it.

I found the first third to be very tense and exciting, especially the failed escape. And the third third also provided a lot of tension and excitement, once the two cops came along.

The middle section is the really bizarre stuff.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Very different - as someone else alluded, this reminded me of Martyrs in terms of setting, style and oddness. Perhaps it's just me, but I would have loved to have seen the centipede with the bandages removed! I quite liked this one and it will be interesting to see the sequel. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.