Heartless

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

feggie wrote:I do have a big birthmark on my face(it's kinda faint so less noticable now than when i was younger) didn't stop me finding the characters in heartless being cliched.

As for the Descent 2 girl saying something out of order. Shauna said she thought the director was maybe better than Neil Marshall, this seemed more likely to be a joke. After all she didn't claim the Descent 2 was a new genre of horror(caving horror without the claustrophobia(think the cave did this first)), did she?
To be honest if Neil Marshall is a big a knob on set as I saw he was to one fan then I wouldn't be surprised if it was a dig and if it was... good on 'er :lol:

SCOT 1!!!

Rufus is missing, help me find RUFUS!!
VegaStreetKiller
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

@666

Post by VegaStreetKiller »

Accept that you don't hate the film. But I wouldn't dare mention LTROI in a negative way on this forum!! (nice try but I liked that movie anyways) but will share this...typed in Ridley on utube to see if the q&a was up on line, couldn't find that but did see this! A full interview with the man himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQfghxxWtE
VSKILLER
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

feggie wrote:As for the Descent 2 girl saying something out of order. Shauna said she thought the director was maybe better than Neil Marshall, this seemed more likely to be a joke. After all she didn't claim the Descent 2 was a new genre of horror(caving horror without the claustrophobia(think the cave did this first)), did she?
The way I took that jokey remark was "The director - he's not Neil Marshall...." (ahh, go easy on him, he's got a lot to live up to), "....but he might actually be better!" (don't worry about it, it's a cracking movie!).
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

streetrw wrote:
feggie wrote:As for the Descent 2 girl saying something out of order. Shauna said she thought the director was maybe better than Neil Marshall, this seemed more likely to be a joke. After all she didn't claim the Descent 2 was a new genre of horror(caving horror without the claustrophobia(think the cave did this first)), did she?
The way I took that jokey remark was "The director - he's not Neil Marshall...." (ahh, go easy on him, he's got a lot to live up to), "....but he might actually be better!" (don't worry about it, it's a cracking movie!).
Yeah, I basically agree. Also my take on it was that he was extremely nervous standing there on the stage, he seems like a very nice chap, the cast probably all like him, and she was trying (a) to boost his confidence a bit and (b) to get us to give the film a chance.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Plus he did his neck in which is why he was so rigid on the stage :)

Heard shauna ask him how it was... Boooooooo :(
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Possible spoilers ***

Not sure about this movie. I probably need to see this again and I may appreciate it more on second viewing. The big build-up at the start meant I started analysing the film too much instead of sitting back and enjoying it for what it was, plus a couple of things irked me early on (although these were subsequently undone by the end of the film). Initially it seemed to blame demons for gang culture which seemed just so wrong to me (although this was later revealed to be from the main character's viewpoint), while the wish-fulfilment element of becoming handsome and getting a stunning girlfriend who was so conveniently available also put me off, although this again was reversed later in the film.

Therefore, knowing how the film pans out, I may get more out of it second time around. Having said that, I thought it was obvious that he'd be asked to kill his girlfriend once he was set his first murderous assignment. Overall, a well-made, mature film in many ways, although by no means perfect. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
PiercedEyeball
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PiercedEyeball »

Somewhat over-ambitious for Philip Ridley to state that this was a 'new genre of horror', but it was well-made and I particularly liked how it seemed to integrate elements of different genres such as fantasy, social realism and comedy. Acting was top-notch and an interesting take on Faust.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Quite liked this. Kept my interest and the 'not the girlfriend at the door' bit did make me jump. The bathroom mirror bit, yawn, how many times must this be done? It was in at least another two films of the festival.

Didn't see the Q&A but whilst I think the producer at the beginning was over the top with the 'new genre' thing, it did seem that he was maybe just a little over emotional due to the occasion.
drippingpaint
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by drippingpaint »

when are producers not over excited about something they hope to sell...

i liked the film though, had not seen Jim strugess before thought he was good, loved eddie marsan (that man is a true gent), he just takes over any scene he his in effortlessly
Darkly Noon
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Darkly Noon »

*** ENDING SPOILERS ***

The film itself certainly isn't the start of a new genre of horror, but I think the ending is pretty unique in horror history. Most genre films have one of two endings: they're either deeply nihilistic (we're all fucked and even love can't save us from evil) or end on a pat, happy, usually studio-enforced love-saves-all note. The ending of Heartless refuses to go down either route, and simply acknowledges a greater truth - violence and evil is all around us, and always will be, but what's the point of going on if you don't embrace love instead of fear? Saccharine for some, yes, but a truth that seldom gets a chance to be expressed in the genre and should be. I thought the ending did a good job of not tipping over the edge, and Timothy Spall was the perfect actor to say those words. Still gives me goosebumps a week later.

*** END SPOILERS ***
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: @666

Post by pauluspink »

VegaStreetKiller wrote:typed in Ridley on utube to see if the q&a was up on line, couldn't find that
I have the Q&A footage, I may upload it tomorrow! and yes you do see Noel Clarke on his mobile phone several times!!
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Though it wasn't especially original, I did very much enjoy it (like with Triangle), and for me too it very much felt like a Clive Barker tale... one thing I did notice is that there were huge amounts of subtle (and unsubtle too) foreshadowing, some of which will probably take a second watch - did anyone catch what book it was Jamie was reading early on?

One thing I did debate a bit after the end was to do with Noel Clarke's character and the links to the Faust element of the story -

WARNING - SPOILERS!
Did anyone else think that he could have made a deal himself to get him out of the gang in the first place, and the manner of his death was to tie in with the Faustian punishment of being torn limb from limb (which provided some of the starting point for Hellraiser)?
END SPOILERS
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Darkly Noon
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Darkly Noon »

Following on from Andy's post...

*** SPOILERS ***

Clarke's character was killed by She, the gang leader with the blades in place of a hand (who Jamie killed in the photo studio). I didn't get the connection the first time I saw it, but seeing it again at FF and bearing in mind much of the film is in Jamie's head, it looks like Clarke used to be in a gang with She, who then wouldn't let him lead a normal life. The last time we see Clarke's character alive, he's talking on the phone to someone (obviously She) about how he wants a clean slate, and arranges a meeting. It is then he is found dead, having been ripped to pieces by She's blade. It is Jamie's imagination that conjures up the idea of him having been ripped limb from limb by Papa B and his minions.

*END SPOILERS ***

Don't remember what book Jamie was reading, but yes, there's lots of foreshadowing and setting up the ending all the way through the film.
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

Whilst I thought the directors comments about 'a new genre of horror' were somewhat self indulgent I really enjoyd the film. Numerous elements had been seen elsewhere but it look beautiful and the acting was great.

What happened to the 'Stop Hating Heartless' thread? It seems to have disappeared.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Jim Fear wrote:Whilst I thought the directors comments about 'a new genre of horror' were somewhat self indulgent I really enjoyd the film. Numerous elements had been seen elsewhere but it look beautiful and the acting was great.

What happened to the 'Stop Hating Heartless' thread? It seems to have disappeared.
I think it was closed and moved to the FF2009 so far section at the bottom Jim.