Black

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Black

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Due it's late start, long running time, and lack of horror, Black was almost empty by the time it finished... but it's possibly my film of the festival!

A great modern-day exploitation movie :D
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

Gotta also chime in and give Black some love, real shame it started so late and was also quite long as you could see a lot of people gave it a miss ... it really was like an exploitation movie, with the plot whizzing along just throwing in every genre they could think of ... my only problem with the film was that the final confrontation between Lion and Snake was shot in the dark, and I couldn't really make out who was hitting who with what ... although, given that was around 2:30am it could have just been me not opening my eyes wide enough.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Would have been better without the last 10-15 minutes, for jonbly - keep it as a straight action / thriller. But even so, this was really good. In particular, everything was crisply shot and looked real.

7/10
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

It was alright, really enjoyed the very start but i think it started to lose it's way when they moved location. a bit too much thrown in.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Real shame, i was a bit sleepy to watch this. Did manage to watch the last hour or so. Rather enjoyed what I saw. Do actually want to see this again, wide awake and not so late.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Because of the late start with the Landis Jackson stuff, I bailed on Black. I'll be happy to catch it when/if it comes out, though.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

Yeah I had to bail on this one too, which was a shame because I was quite intrigued and wanted to see what this film was like.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

I must say that Black was beautifully shot, you can really appreciate the several locations this was filmed; it must have taken them a long time to make this picture. Despite the late start, I was fortunate enough to stay awake (tbh I never fell asleep at all during Frightfest), I do agree with Splitter; the last fight between the snake and lion was a little too dark to see exactly what was going on. I got home just after 3:30am, and coming back for the next movie (Zombie woman of Satan) was quite tough with 4hrs sleep to my name.

I hope Black comes out on Bluray, should look amazing in HD 1080P
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

i enjoyed Black a hell of a lot more than i thought - was expecting some lame blacksploitation (how do u spell that!) thing but the whole look and vibe of the film was superb. Was a little dissapointed at the ending expected maybe more supernatural stuff happening maybe with lots more effects but I thought this was very well made and visually great.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
fd
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by fd »

Really enjoyed this. Was very surprised by the switch in styles, but some of it was extremely effective.

A shame my brain wasn't working properly by the 2:30 finish. :)
macready
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by macready »

I loved the soundtrack and the sequences I actually saw. Unfortunately, I kept dropping off to sleep (something to do with not actually having made it to bed following the Phoenix on the previous night!). So, can't give an honest opinion but it seemed OK.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

I was wanting to see this when it was originaly in the smaller screen and would definetly have watched in the main one had it not had it's start time put back by over an hour.
Shall try and catch it on dvd.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Gave this one a miss so I could have an early night. From what I heard from some of those that stayed I probably made the right choice from my point of view. Probably catch it on DVD at some point though.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Didn't do it for me so I left after an hour.

It didn't engage me from the start but that could have been the tiredness and the lateness of its start time.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

From the newsletter:
As for BLACK in the main auditorium, don’t get us started on the problems we had with that!
Well, whatever happened... it was worth it... for me anyway!