We Are What We Are

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

We Are What We Are

Post by jonbly »

Tricky one, this... slow, but the unfolding mystery kept it reasonably interesting. Neat twist at the end to save the family line. But the title doesn't really make up for the fact that we're never given any clues as to why they are what they are...

6/10
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: We Are What We Are

Post by djwoody »

Really liked this. Another slow burner but great story and characters and a bit of grue at the end. For me, one of the films I really like to see at Frightfest.
If you missed it, deffo worth tracking down
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

it was what it was,and me being me walked out of it,didnt care for it found it too slow and whatever pay off at the end of the film wasnt worth the tedious journey getting there,it was much more fun being grabbed by kane hodder :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

A really good film and a worthy inclusion at Frightfest, it went a bit flat for me in the second half - but an enjoyable watch none-the-less.
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

Grindhouse wrote:it was what it was,and me being me walked out of it,didnt care for it found it too slow and whatever pay off at the end of the film wasnt worth the tedious journey getting there,it was much more fun being grabbed by kane hodder :D
I wish I'd gone with you. Fact.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Far too slow, and I lost patience with it very quickly. My least favourite film in the main screen.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Had high hopes for this but was disappointed - watch Cannibal Ferox instead!!!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I had high hopes when it started and I saw it was an Artificial Eye release (snobbery :lol: ). It was well shot and reasonably well acted, but oh so very dull.

I must admit I was nodding off a bit during the first half, so maybe I was missing crucial points, but it seemed their cannibalistic lifestyle collapsed pretty damn quick once the father died. I couldn't understand a lot of things: what "The Ritual" was, how the cops managed to find them so fast, why they stupidly dumped the dead hooker in the street and, come to think of it, why they were cannibals at all. :?
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

I sat through this one hoping it was one of those slow burners which would ignite in the last 15 mins ..... ah well it didnt ... bugger, should have gone for that mexican lunch and a beer instead. Started slow and dull and remained that way right to the end. The "Ritual" was never explained, neither was how did those two dozy cops find the family so quickly. Couldnt engage with any of the characters or the story... grim, boring, dull.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Yawnsville.

dunno where these Let The Right One in comparisons are coming from, it was nothing like it!

It didn't even feel like a horror, more like an exceedingly boring documentary "a day in the life of a cannibal family" or something.
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Well, the Let the right one in comparisons probably come from the "caretaker" aspect of the whole thing.
Unfortunatly this one was rather boring and never really took off. Let too many things unexplained and, again, the main character's action were just stupid e.g. why bring the dead hooker back to her friends? Why not just dump her somewhere, where they would find her? How did cops find them so quickly, why was the one cop shot by the security guards, why did they NEED human flesh to survive, what was the Ritual, bla bla bal.

6/10
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

I enjoyed this though I can't put my finger on why. In an environment like FF where you're watching loads of films in a short space of time and you're incredibly sleep deprived I find it harder to follow the slower films. But for some reason this hooked me.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

This for me was the duff film of the festival.

Reeeally slow going. No real explaination why they are feeding off prositutes. This ritual thing they kept mentioning. The whole thing made go to snoozeville.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Sadly lacked the stunning cinematography and emotional impact of Let The Right One In, but nevertheless an engrossing tale of a family trying to survive. Agree with the above comments regarding the mythos not being explained in this one (what the ritual was, why they would die if they didn't eat human flesh etc), while some daft behaviour and scenes played for laughs lessened the intensity of this one. Still, worth 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Grindhouse wrote:it was what it was,and me being me walked out of it,didnt care for it found it too slow and whatever pay off at the end of the film wasnt worth the tedious journey getting there,it was much more fun being grabbed by kane hodder :D

Ditto

Apart from the grabbing bit.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup