Last Exorcism Ending

The movies of 2010 still live
markR
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Last Exorcism Ending

Post by markR »

Eli Roth gave his explanation and I was still confused! Where the townfolk at the end satanists trying to give birth to satan? And if so why did they throw baby in the fire? Or where they on gods side trying to give birth to the baby so they could get rid of it? And why was brother on their side and not dad? Confusion!!
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Last Exorcism Ending

Post by AdeBrown »

or was it all an elaborate hoax by Cotton Marcus?
or by the locals?
Did Satan win or Jesus?

For me, it was a bit rushed at the ending, but I guess that adds to the confusion about the film - which the director and co seemed to be seeking. I like that everyone's interpretation can be right (or wrong).
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I told Eli Roth afterwards that the ending had taken me completely by surprise and I hadn't expected that, and his eyes just lit up and he said "Good, that's exactly what we were after!" The confusion it creates is obviously intentional then. I'd initally just assumed it must be devil worshippers stepping in to do Satan's work for him, but the more I think about it the more I like the potential for various alternate meanings Is it being done for the Devil or God? Or is it just a hoax to teach Cotton Marcus a lesson? Or is it Marcus carrying out one final massive hoax? I don't think it can be this last one as it certainly looks like his two colleagues were actually killed, which was never really in doubt after Nell did that painting. It'd be a bit of an extreme hoax if Cotton was prepared to go and lop his own cameramans head off!
Pestilence
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pestilence »

Seemed to me that everyone but the father was involved in birthing a demon through the girl. They sent Cotton and his crew off on a wild goose chase so that they could complete the ceremony - birthing the demon through fire.

The demon knew exactly what was going to happen, however, which was shown through the drawing.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

The Aylmer wrote:I told Eli Roth afterwards that the ending had taken me completely by surprise and I hadn't expected that, and his eyes just lit up and he said "Good, that's exactly what we were after!" The confusion it creates is obviously intentional then. I'd initally just assumed it must be devil worshippers stepping in to do Satan's work for him, but the more I think about it the more I like the potential for various alternate meanings Is it being done for the Devil or God? Or is it just a hoax to teach Cotton Marcus a lesson? Or is it Marcus carrying out one final massive hoax? I don't think it can be this last one as it certainly looks like his two colleagues were actually killed, which was never really in doubt after Nell did that painting. It'd be a bit of an extreme hoax if Cotton was prepared to go and lop his own cameramans head off!
Did you then reply, "No a bad surprise, not a good surprise."

The one thing I'd point out is that it could easily be a hoax because at no point do you see anyone die. All you see is Cotton Marcus walk towards the fire, at which point it cuts away and you don't see the other two get struck with weapons, you merely see that attackers waving their weapons around. Unless I completely missed it, they didn't even do the old trick of having the camera man's head roll on the floor in view of the lens.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Last Exorcism Ending

Post by daveroughcut »

Ha ha overthinkers! I love it and I love the ending. I love a good swindle and I love ambiguity. Though all mobile phone users should have been thrown in the fire at the end!
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Bearded Avenger wrote:Did you then reply, "No a bad surprise, not a good surprise."
If it hadn't been for the heavy handed security trying to shove everyone along as quickly as possible I'm sure we could have chatted a lot more. In fact, I was still chatting to Roth (he was keeping the conversation going, not me!) when I found myself in front of Ashley Bell, so I figured I'd better show some interest in the other guests and move onto the subject of how far its possible to contort the human body (Ashley insists it's all her. A bit like Tobe Hooper insists Poltergeist is all his)
Bearded Avenger wrote:The one thing I'd point out is that it could easily be a hoax because at no point do you see anyone die. All you see is Cotton Marcus walk towards the fire, at which point it cuts away and you don't see the other two get struck with weapons, you merely see that attackers waving their weapons around. Unless I completely missed it, they didn't even do the old trick of having the camera man's head roll on the floor in view of the lens.
I like the idea it's all a hoax, but once Cotton was out there dancing in front of the flames the other two did a very good job of sounding like they were genuinely in fear for their lives as they ran off (which is exactly what they should be doing if it was a hoax). I think my memory might be playing tricks on me as well as I could have sworn we saw Iris Bahr's character come to some genuine harm before the cameraman went down?

I'll have to go see it again now at the local multiplex to make sure!
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Unexpected. Thought the dad was a bit of a nutter and was surprised to see him tied up. Did not suspect the fat old lady and Sunday School teacher. Was still a bit naff and a let down though.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

I think it fell over.