Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

Post by lupogirl »

Looked absolutely stunning. At times reminded me of Pans Labryinth.

Nicely paced with a few jumps. Quite like the creatures, when at times looked liked rats.

One of the rare occasions I have seen Katie Holmes in a film. I thought she was really good. Guy Pearce was just on the sidelines.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Solid is the word, really. Perfectly decent, nicely nasty creatures, and a lot of Del Toro in there (specifically Pan's).

I'm putting up blogs for each film:

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/08/do ... -dark.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Well made, tripped along at a good pace, nicely creepy creatures - v good CGI and by god a movie where I came out thinking "actually Katie Holmes was OK" :) Guy Pearces character seemed completely irrelevant and could have been played by anyone.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

One of my faves... loved it!!! LOVED IT!!! Didn't love what happened at the end as I don't think the father learned ANYTHING at all...RAR!
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
itchysore
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by itchysore »

Had some silly bits like the never ending flash bulb but overall really enjoyed this, looked great, the little girl was good and loved the little monsters. Was quite surprised by the fairly dark ending.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

Post by daveroughcut »

I hate soundstage haunted houses. You could perform Phantom Of The Opera in the hall with complete cast and full props! The acting was very "hit your mark" stuff and the little girl seemed very schooled. The monsters were the Tooth Fairies from Hellboy 2. Not for me.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

A good looking film, but it annoyed me early on... the but where the girl gets grabbed by the builder made me shxt myself, but only because of the sudden banging sound. Also, those little pixie things - if I'd made the film it'd be a short, as the girl would squish them straight away.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It was pretty good, and as it turned out one of the few "traditional" horror/fantasy films in a weekend with a bit too much emphasis on "real world" horrors.

As has been said, Guy Pearce had a thankless task playing a typical disbelieving/insensitive parent - the character really should've had more depth.

I found the tone a bit inconsistent too - it turned into Gremlins for the dinner party scene, which worked very well, but the rest of the film was deadly serious.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

Average. This could have been great, but they showed the creatures too much. Too much I tell you! The original was creepier.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

jonbly wrote:9/10 - consistently creepy, and the effects were all well done. Surprisingly subdued applause at the end, though, so maybe the rest of you didn't agree...
Hard to put my finger on it. It seemed to take me a while to engage with this movie, while (for the sake of comparison) Pan's Labyrinth was engrossing from the start.

Del Toro lite, I guess. Good enough, but lacking a certain something.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Studio Canal.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey