The Glass Man

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Glass Man

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - Gah. We get one of these from time to time where... it's clearly a good movie and everyone's done a good job but jonbly just doesn't actually enjoy it. (jonbly is very very sorry about this). The biggest problem was that Martin just feels like a caricature at the start, almost Mr.Bean-like. It's impossible to see how someone like him could have gotten the big job & beautiful wife to start with.
Last edited by jonbly on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boxman1980
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: The Glass Man

Post by boxman1980 »

I take your point Jonbly but I liked it all the same. Not a typical Frightfest flick but when you have a job that gives you a wage to afford a charmed life...it is very scary when it is taken away from you and could send someone mental. Great performances all round and especially from Andy Nyman. Like the fact that he wasn't particularly talented but had a beautiful house with lots of rich possessions and the actor was talented and lived in a very modest, low brow house. It all about confidence and being comfortable in your skin I guess.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." Mark Twain
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

my favourite of the fest (that i saw) it was funny ,moving, heartbreaking and horrific as well as being Beautifully written and acted.
Tour de force performances by Andy Nyman and James Cosmo, and Neve Campbell surprised me a lot with her performance.
Fantastic
9.5/10
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

Probably my highlight of frightfest. I love Andy anyway but I thought his performance was superb in a beautiful and moving piece which felt particularly current. I have to admit, I had a sniffle too. If I put my critical hat on, I would argue it could do with another 10 mins of edits which I think would make it an even tighter film.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

I admit to a couple of sniffle moments too
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I was told that the run time of the film already been trimmed from well over two hours, yet I agree more could have been taken out.

Beautifully acted, realised and shot, but I just found it a bit dull.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Apart from the fact that the film went on longer than it should I thought it was an excellent film, a real tour de force from andy Nyman.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Spoilers ***

A very solid effort looking at the shattering of a man's life - and ultimately his mind. Very well made with fine acting by Nyman and Cosmo. An excellent, scarily realistic story that is compellingly engrossing as events escalate into a living nightmare. Only quibble is that the film seemed to take a while to wrap up after the reveal. 9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I thought it was a worthy effort, with good performances from Andy Nyman and James Cosmo.... but it just didn't move me somehow.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Andy Nyman steals every scene - this was a film which keeps you thinking well after it finishes - under the radar going in but it really stands out
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Another highlight from the festival.

Really enjoyed this film. Andy Nyman was excellent. At times found this film very moving and the sense pride Andy Nyman's character had. The gradual process of him falling apart.

Though it was nicely paced, with a twist. That gets you thinking.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I did enjoy this movie, and love Andy Nyman, and some of the plotline really hit home. It just somehow left me wanting a little more 'I don't know what'.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Overall it's a disappointment, I feel. But Nyman was terrific.

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/08/glass-man.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Hmmm -personally really cant fathom all the love this one is getting.

It was OK, competent enough but overly long and dragged. The real problem for me is that I couldnt really "get" Martin or feel much sympathy for him. I spent chunks of the movie wondering how this nerdy little guy managed to get the big job, the nice house & car/trappings of success and the posh sounding glam wife and the other thing niggling me was what did he do that was so bad to make everyone at work turn against him in such an extreme way - did I miss something? Was it explained at all?
leathercamp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by leathercamp »

I liked this film. I thought Andy Nyman was a revelation. A mesmerizing performance. The reveal was great, but then I felt the film out stayed its welcome somewhat and became a tad repetitive. It might benefit from some cutting near the end i think. But what a performace from Mr. Nyman.