The Wicker Tree

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: The Wicker Tree

Post by Alex J »

Lacked the class of the original and more of a b****** cousin than a sequel. Too much farcical humour to really make any impact, while the two central characters were embarrassing stereotypes. There were odd flashes of inspiration that evoked memories of the original and some of the bawdy humour was fun, but all in all, not enough horror I'm afraid... 6 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I had low expectations for this film. Came away rather enjoying this. Had good visuals, such as the 3 sitting Queen of May scene. At times was amusing. Not often you seen a naked male bottom on screen longer than 3 seconds! Horrah!

Not patch on the Wicker Man. Still was watchable.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Everytime he put on his cowboy hat, all I could think of was Neg's Urban Sports...

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's a mess, no question, but I found it oddly engaging. Nowhere near the marvels of the original, though.

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/08/wicker-tree.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
elly_0
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by elly_0 »

For me this was the worst movie of the entire fest; dull doesn't begin to describe
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

elly_0 wrote:For me this was the worst movie of the entire fest; dull doesn't begin to describe
This.

The only good thing, and this was purely out of ghoulishness, was Honeysuckle Whatsername in the nud.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

The Wicker Tree

Post by daveroughcut »

Was this a joke? No really was it? Not quite Giallo standard of giggling but giggleworth none the less. Though it was a joke right?
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

was really looking forward to this . The christopher Lee cameo was pointless , very disapointing ! :(
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

daveroughcut wrote:Was this a joke? No really was it? Not quite Giallo standard of giggling but giggleworth none the less. Though it was a joke right?
Yes it was.
Nice of them to tell us so before the film.
Afterwards we might not have believed them!

(Actually I found it mildly amusing in places. Still wish they'd got the Carry On team involved.)
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

The film was not upto the expectations i had, but i did enjoy it in places. i did find that in the sedon half of the film-Brittania Nicol (beth) and Honeysuckle Weeks(lolly) were by far much better characters and i did feel sympathy for them. And by far, the most entertaining character was Clive Russell's (book of blood, spaced-damien knox,) character the butler. i was hoping that when he went to get Beth, he'd have almost braveheart type make-up on. :mrgreen:

The score side of the soundtrack was impressive.

Depsite not being a great film, robin hardy who i met before the film was v.nice and a true gent.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

If anything, this movie is indicative of the high standard of quality control in FF2011. In previous years, we've seen movies much poorer than this (I'm looking at you, Giallo).

My point is: this was a rotten, tedious film and comfortably the worst of the weekend, but the only real stinker.
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

i didn't have big expectations of this one, but i was surprised just HOW bad it actually was.

the script felt like was written by some teenager, characters were utterly despicable (on both sides), plot was predictable (yeah, i know, it follows the steps of Wicker Man, but hey, how about some suspense and innovation?), hammy acting, the list goes on...

but that's what happens when one tries to make a political film - he/she creates a strawman ;) (i hate religious right as the next church-burning-blackmetaller, but come on!) and thinking that great metaphor is being filmed a crappy film ensues.

and on a final note - Robin Hardy is an old sleazebag.