Kill List

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Kill List

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Everything's good here apart from the plot... which doesn't matter much during the film because you've got momentum, but the last third really doesn't make any sense. What is this group's motives?
ZombieRandm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Kill List

Post by ZombieRandm »

I was a little disappointed with the film, the acting was good, build up was tense and well worked, but the story ended up feeling confused. I'll leave this Spoiler-less, but...

The Oppo relationship between the leads was interesting, but they came across more like mercenaries rather than special forces (this might seem a little geeky but a trained sniper would use a sniper rifle, not an assault rifle... i'd expect an L96/L115A3 or equivalent...) It looked like they were closer to Sean Bean's character in Ronin rather than ex-special forces or a trained sniper team from the royal marines or paras.

<SPOILERS-POSSIBLY>

Even with the main duo coming across as less-than-competent, they may have wiped out a majority of the antagonists, at which point most of the story becomes moot. It looked more like bad luck that the duo didn't make it through their last sortie, which would have left their opposition in a precarious state. It looks like the antagonists had planned a significant portion of the activities, but everything that happened was too chaotic for them to rely on not being completely wiped out.

I get the feeling that the writer/director had internalised Slaine the Horned God and was showing us the completion of a cycle... but again with the chaotic nature of what was happening there is no way that they would be able to guess how many people/who would have been left at the end.

</SPOILERS-POSSIBLY>
Uzumaki
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Uzumaki »

Just loved this one. There's something about Warp films that I really like, all the performances seem really natural and I enjoyed the build up to the kills probaly more that the kills themselves. And the mental ending just made me like it more, one of my favourites.
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

Gripping and great performances by all. In my top 5
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

I had heard so much about this for so long that it was never going to live up to the hype.

I enjoyed watching it but found the twist ridiculous.
BTW is it me or are the trends this year at FF: Pagans, asthma inhalers and doors hidden in wardrobes?
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

PS what did piss me off though is that the woman who there with Kill List thought it was appropriate to talk loudly all the way through the short film before it. We had to tell her to "shut the fcuk up" :)
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

A very impressive film featuring excellent, engaging characters, relationships and story. Really enjoyed listing to the director on stage too. Hope it does well.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

A great story. Great characters.

I could have actually have done with the forest/catacombs scenes being longer to heighten the tension just a bit more, but I did enjoy it a lot.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Pumpkin wrote:I enjoyed watching it but found the twist ridiculous.
The twist made it for me.

Up to that point it had been a proficient and effective thriller and character study, but I was wondering "what's all the fuss about".

But then it went completely insane. It didn't need to make sense, it was just nice to be surprised for once (after a lot of extremely predictable films in the preceding few days).
jimmie_mac
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Kill List *SPOLIERS*

Post by jimmie_mac »

i thought it was massively unoriginal, played out like a good guy ritchie film for the first hour or so with good acting . the ending was ridiculous and the plot was patchy.

please can someone make something original !
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Really liked the relationship between the two guys, but the ending was over-familiar.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

This movie was a HUGE let down for me, the first two thirds of the movie are brilliant and do a good job of getting you to sympathize and like the characters but the third act ruins it. Such a shame.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Huge disappointment with all the hype going on around it.
Unfortunatly many of the jokes where lost on us due to all the mumbling, the soundtrack and the hard to understand accent (we are not british). While the first 1/3 of the movie worked well enough it just went downhill from there and got absolutely silly in the end. The twist at the end was stupid and the final fight in its idea a total ripoff of "Serbian Film" even if the director said he never saw it. So, you were a sniper team in the special forces, have assault rifles with you but you can't take out 20 naked people with sticks?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

nagelfar wrote:Huge disappointment with all the hype going on around it.
Unfortunatly many of the jokes where lost on us due to all the mumbling, the soundtrack and the hard to understand accent (we are not british).
I think even us British had trouble with this... I couldn't catch half the dialogue either.

Was ramping up the Empire volume - better suited to high-end THX tracks - a problem when it came to lower budget films?
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I really enjoyed this - was surprised at the slight change in direction towards the latter part of the film but it didn't matter. My third favourite of the entire festival.