Big Love To Alan, Ian, Greg & Paul But Seriously ....

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Big Love To Alan, Ian, Greg & Paul

Post by AdeBrown »

Jekyll wrote:Funnily enough one guy I was chatting to yesterday said that the 'Discovery' screen feels a lot more frightfesty these days, with the main screen seeming to having to show more bums on seats mainstream kind of films.

I think next year I might investigate the discovery screen a lot more.
I made a similar point, or maybe it was me you were chatting to?

I think that in the past we'd have seen more of those more obscure or less well-promoted films on the main screen, and maybe that main screen would not have been so full. The extra slots mean that the content is spread out more. I was a bit disappointed that VHS was shown in the extra slot, since it played to a full "home" crowd while there were others that could have been another screening. Or even Maniac for people too old/tired/whatever to stay up late.

But on the whole, I am not going to grumble too much since I appreciate the mix of (sub)genres, tastes catered for and timings governed by availability of film makers, distributors and actors etc.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
stanley
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Big Love To Alan, Ian, Greg & Paul But Seriously ....

Post by stanley »

Worst Frightfest by a country mile........and I was at the one when Postal and Seed played!!!
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

stanley wrote:Worst Frightfest by a country mile........and I was at the one when Postal and Seed played!!!
Heh Heh I loved Postal :) ..... and the FF I least enjoyed the was the year where it was teeming with George Romero Zombie movies ... now that probably raises a WTF!!!! from many ;)
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Personally thought this was a slightly stronger line-up than last year, overall.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

stanley wrote:Worst Frightfest by a country mile........and I was at the one when Postal and Seed played!!!
Those 2 films were indeed dogshit (like everything else by Uwe Boll..), but 2007 was a strong year for films - Cold Prey, The Orphanage, Spiral, Black Sheep, Teeth, The Signal, Mandy Lane, etc.

Out of the ones I've been to (a bit of 2007 and all of every one since then), this wasn't the worst, it was weaker than 2007, 2008, and marginally worse than last year, but far better than the line ups for 2009 and 2010.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

jonbly wrote:Personally thought this was a slightly stronger line-up than last year, overall.
I agree with you, in fact (without actually going and looking at the programmes) I thought it was better than the last 2 or 3 years.

There was nothing which blew me away, but nothing which I absolutely hated either. I'd say most of the films were distinctly "average", but this year's average was perhaps a little higher than last year's.

I'd probably be happier with one or two 10/10's, counterbalanced by a couple of absolute stinkers, but if we're not going to get that I'll make do with a load of 6/10's.
bump3r1
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by bump3r1 »

I just think it needed abit more supernatural horror, there's a reason sinister was in everyone's top 3 and that the most successful horror films of recent time have been insidious & PA franchise. Nothing scary about nipples being twisted off, women being raped & little skinny chavs demanding £20 a week to not smash up ur flat.

Maniac & Chained being the exception to the rule.
You think darkness is your ally but you have merely adopted the dark, i was born in it!!

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!

Craig Beecham - Facebook.
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

As ever, brilliantly organised, the volunteers were awesome as usual, loads of guests and was probably one of the most slick FFs to date.

Have to agree with the quality of some of the films, but i wonder if anyone bothered to try out some of the discovery screen films instead? I mean the majority of films which are being slammed in reviews i managed to miss - i think more people should have checked out the discovery screen films instead of taking the easy option of just going into screen 1. Aside from the timing of the Dario Argento interview - the majority of discover screen films had empty seats waiting to be filled.
Uzumaki
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Uzumaki »

I'm quite surprised by this thread, It's my 12th Frightfest and I thought this was a strong year! It's the nature of the beast that there will be a few stinkers, I hated Under the Bed but the people sitting next to me loved it. I dodged a few bullets by going to the Discovery screen instead of After and Tulpa, maybe I'd have felt different if I hadn't. For me though there were 8 great films and a number of other decent ones.
Heh Heh I loved Postal ..... and the FF I least enjoyed the was the year where it was teeming with George Romero Zombie movies ... now that probably raises a WTF!!!! from many
Amen to that, that yeah ruined zombies for me
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

This is my second London FF and I've been to 3 at Glasgow and I thought this year was brilliant. I felt the films were more consistent in quality I really enjoyed:The Seasoning House, Sleep Tight, Hidden in The Woods, Eurocrime, Nightbreed, Sinister and American Mary. Well done to the guys for putting on a great festival. For me the low-lights were Dead Sushi, the Inside (Disco screen) and After.
The Scullion
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by The Scullion »

Wow... Just wow.

Perhaps the finger of angry blame needs to pointed at filmmakers across the globe! After all, these are the people responsible for making these films some of you disliked so vehemently. Damn them!

I’m not saying this year was ‘the best in the world ever’ because it had some real weak moments. Monday saved it for me, but that’s just my personal opinion!

The Frightfest guys haven’t lost their touch, they just didn’t have a big pool of brilliant films to select from. Yeah Outpost 2 really stank of a ‘deal’ of some sort, but then Frightfesters (especially the life-long pass holders) should’ve clocked this and went to see something on the other TWO screens (or actually had a break for more than an hour!!). The Frightfest guys search for variety, world premieres, exclusives, crowd-splitters and films that show a support of the horror film industry in general (especially the British horror film industry – who else will support it?).

I would suggest we have a DISCOVERY SCREEN version of the short film showcase too, with more rough ‘n’ ready short films making the cut, with totally independent shorts on there. The main screen Short Film Showcase feels a little nepotistic now, where you can play 6 Degrees of Separation and link nearly every film to someone who’s close to the festival / a guest filmmaker etc… or basically someone who has a film being developed that Frightfest really want in the future! The Short Film Showcase IS plugged as the ‘talent of the future’ though, so maybe I should shut up… !

I think the negativity towards the line-up has been a dark shadow over the festival, along with people calling it ‘Rapefest’… but that shouldn’t stop people from voicing their concerns / suggestions. Maybe just not in the direction of the selectors, but the filmmakers in general. Or blame the government. That always helps.

Whatever the case, threatening to NOT go to any future Frightfest’s because of this year’s selection seems like reactionary madness (madness, I tell you!). Who knows what’s being made now that might appear in FF 2013. Could be the best horror film of all time. Might be Dead Cert 2: Dead Certain)

I love this festival and all its craziness.

Give the guys a break. And a huge round of applause. I had a great time and can’t wait for the next one.

Bring it on.
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anoy yin barsted »

DavieT wrote:
Jekyll wrote:Funnily enough one guy I was chatting to yesterday said that the 'Discovery' screen feels a lot more frightfesty these days, with the main screen seeming to having to show more bums on seats mainstream kind of films.

Yes I was thinking something similar - how about an alternative w/e or day pass for Discovery only? Probably an inevitable feature of Frightfest getting bigger/more successful/more commercial every year. I think theres always going to be the problem that everyones taste is different and if you try to please all of the people all of the time then youre on a hiding to nothing. My own experience - 10th fest, weekend pass for 9 and a couple of day passes this time - was that on the whole I did enjoy it but there were no real stand out 10/10 knockouts this year eg nothing of the calibre of Let the Right One In. In my experience every year theres usually been movies I absolutely loved every second of and those I've utterly hated, seemed to be a lot more middling OKs this year - maybe that just reflects the quality of whats available - dont know, I'm no expert. My memorable movie this year was Tulpa - but for all the wrong reasons ;)

I think it is a tad unfair to invoke Let the Right One IN- after all, wouldn't that be the best film FrighFest will show, ever, being as it is the best film, ever?
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

anoy yin barsted wrote:
DavieT wrote:

Yes I was thinking something similar - how about an alternative w/e or day pass for Discovery only? Probably an inevitable feature of Frightfest getting bigger/more successful/more commercial every year. I think theres always going to be the problem that everyones taste is different and if you try to please all of the people all of the time then youre on a hiding to nothing. My own experience - 10th fest, weekend pass for 9 and a couple of day passes this time - was that on the whole I did enjoy it but there were no real stand out 10/10 knockouts this year eg nothing of the calibre of Let the Right One In. In my experience every year theres usually been movies I absolutely loved every second of and those I've utterly hated, seemed to be a lot more middling OKs this year - maybe that just reflects the quality of whats available - dont know, I'm no expert. My memorable movie this year was Tulpa - but for all the wrong reasons ;)

I think it is a tad unfair to invoke Let the Right One IN- after all, wouldn't that be the best film FrighFest will show, ever, being as it is the best film, ever?
Unfair? Nah :) some peops I talked to at the time found it boring as hell and couldnt get in to it at all - some would says Martyrs was incredible and the best ever shown at FF - I personally hated it . Again - everyone has different tastes. Best thing about FF for me - I've seen movies I wouldnt normally seek out, been very pleasantly surprised by many, found a handful to be utter dross and had memorable moments of unintentional hilarity , not to mention that time in PCC with the bikers :D - I wouldnt want to spend the Aug bank hol in any other way :)
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

For a long time 2008 was IMHO the strongest year (think Let The Right One In, Eden Lake, Martyrs etc), until last year surpassed it, just. I think this year wasn't quite as strong as last year, but then I think last year was exceptional and 2012 has merely moved back in line with a "normal year". There were still a number of very good films and Maniac I thought was outstanding.

As others have mentioned, the guys' hands are tied a little - they can only show what has been made but not yet released and they can't always get every film that they would like to show either. Overall, I love Frightfest and the range of films on offer - I know not every film is going to be my cup of tea, but that's what the other screens are for (or even the chance for a break / lie in / early night / decent meal).
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

In relation to some of the criticism of the festival this year, I wouldn't want a festival of just "cosy" films - I want a mixture and that includes harsh, brutal and / or realistic movies as well as the light-hearted ones.

Horror films should include horrific events by definition and as rape is something horrific that happens in real-life then I think it would be watering down the festival if the organisers felt unable to show films that featured rape in case anyone gets upset by it. Sure, we don't need rape scenes for titillations-sake, but I don't feel that any of the films were gratuitous and they included such scenes for a reason.

I'm still very surprised at the bashing Hidden In The Woods got - sure, some of the sub-titles were iffy, but I think that is due to it being a low budget movie from South America. I accept that the film wasn't for all tastes, but I don't think it was terribly acted, while the story was reasonably engaging - again, not to all tastes, but I felt it was gritty and tried to reflect Chilean society and the differences between the few who are rich and the rest who are struggling to survive anyway they can. Still, I'm glad that at least some other 'festers liked the film and it wasn't just me!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.