FF13 - Highlights

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

FF13 - Highlights

Post by Reanimator »

What were everyone's highlights of FF13. I can think of a few but the immediate ones which spring to mind are the opening intro from Ross Noble, surprise guest appearance of Alex Garland with the Dredd footage, and seeing new Bond girl Tonia Sotiropoulou on the stage :D
damatotomato
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: FF13 - Highlights

Post by damatotomato »

For me, it was Dario Argento on stage and finding out that he doesn't compare himself to Bava, just the bloody critics do! He sees himself more as a follower of Hitchcock. I loved the whole Q&A.

I'm glad I watched Hidden in the Woods, I like a good controversial film at Frightfest that divides opinion, and I feel this director will be a major force in the future, whatever you think of his current movie.

I also enjoyed Paura 3D and its references to Argento and the fact that the 3D was, for once, used well. I also liked Alan Jones's comments about the stand-in for the 'pussy shaving'. I never thought I'd say this at Frightfest, but I did think quietly to myself: 'too much information'! That was also one thing I never want to see in close-up 3D ever again!!!!

Maniac was a great midnight screening, Elijah Wood was a revelation. I went home feeling a little traumatised.

Also liked the short film with Reece Shearsmith.

Cracking Frightfest - can't wait until next year:)))

dt
damatotomato
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by damatotomato »

Oh, and The Possession was a whole lot of old-fashioned fun and thrills - hugely enjoyable movie,

dt
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Ian asking the Outpost people if they were going to 'keep milking it forever'. megalolz
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Hey, don't forget the Claycat version of The Raid.

Eee! jonbly found it for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z3EBalwI4

And there's more!

http://leehardcastle.com/
Last edited by jonbly on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Dario Argento inviting the director of the Suspiria remake to see if they can do better - and for the Rutger/Bush/Russian mental image :)
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Highlights for me:

* Seeing the legendary "French Lady" in the flesh! After all these years, to see the source of those long rambling questions. I'd only ever heard her accent from the depths of the back rows before!

* The guys who shouted "Uh-Oh!" when the leading lady of "Tulpa" took too many sleeping pills.

* Chatting with Ross Noble and getting my picture taken. Top bloke. Loved his stuff for years!

* Ian making a friend and bringing him on stage. Best behaved dog in the world! (The guide dog ... not Ian).

* Meeting the Soska sisters. Truly bonkers, but totally adorable!

* The way that the 99% of the audience erupted into helpless laughter when the "hermaphrodite" line was uttered!

* getting a "talking head" piece interview with the Horror Channel and having to sign a disclosure form.

Oh, and loads, and loads of other stuff .... :D
jerichodark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by jerichodark »

The random voice that wasn't Ian's shouting, "Turn your phone off you cunt."
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The random voice that was Ian's shouting, "Turn your phone off, you twat."

(Different day)
bpbpbp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bpbpbp »

TheDukeAbides wrote:The random voice that was Ian's shouting, "Turn your phone off, you twat."

(Different day)

* The Raid with cats was amazing, I concur.

* Ross Noble's little routine. Crazy hair, crazy guy etc.

* Paul McEvoy on stage with Ross Noble- 'keep riffing, keep riffing'- Crazy hair, crazy guy, etc.

* Not doing too badly on the quiz (by my standards).

* Short films were pretty good. Not too keen on the comedy stylings of the previous shorts, but this year found them quite horrific and/or fantastical.

* The majesty of Tulpa; personally, I loved it. How anyone could not enjoy this film is beyond me. A friend of mine works in finance and has a secret double life as an after hours sex maniac; she says that the film sounded very much like a lot of experiences she has had in the past, so perhaps it isn't quite as unrealistic as it may have first seemed... She often asks me if I am into the occult too, for 'no reason'.

* The Soska sisters. Great guests, so enthusiastic. On a personal note, my daughter was fortunate enough to meet the sisters in the Phoenix afterwards, and they were so, so lovely. So genuine towards us and interested in what my daughter thought of the film. Really took time out to speak to everyone. A class act. (It doesn't hurt that American Mary was such an impressive film, either).

BUM NOTE- the 'Turn off Your Phones' obsession. Frankly, someone shouting out 'Turn off your phone, you peado', or something similarly offensive is MORE likely to take me out of the film than someone checking their tweets. During the second night, as the film started (think it was VHS), I had a moment where I couldn't remember if my phone was on silent or not; however, I was too scared to BRIEFLY check in case some DO GOODER screamed abuse at me. It was on silent after all though- I think I was having paranoia incited by the constant reminders about turning them off.

Speaking of which, the phone short involving the girl being killed then raped through the back of her head was just reprehensible: childish and stupid. Oh how daring, etc. Rueful.

OH WELL.

Last point: the highlight of EVERY ff is speaking to other fans in the screen, and in the foyer, and the bars around Leicester Square. Great times. Cheers everyone
I don't remember most of this myself. I only remember the Shogun's ninja hunting us wherever we go. And the bodies falling. And the blood.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I can see where you are coming from with the phones, but I think this is obviously more for the single screening ticket holders/newbies.

I suppose you could argue that it can create a 'them and us' attitude in the weekend/day/regulars minds that we are somewhat 'better' than any average attendee - but I also feel it is to remind the average punter that you aren't at a regular cinema screening.

And whereas I appreciate the descent into silliness, I doubt anyone would shout out peado just because it was a dark cinema and it sounded offensive.

Having said that, I was getting irritated by a bloke near me who I thought kept checking his phone - turns out it was the reflection of his gigantic watch face.

Highlights:

The Seasoning House old man trolling question.
The fact I've gone another year without punching Chandon's smug face.
The Twins.
The Raid with clay cats (I was going to buy it anyway but this makes it a definite).
The French woman with her notepad and 12-questions-in-1 posers - the feeling of the people around me when they see her mane of white hair and know whats coming is great.
You, the audience.
The Sightseers trailer.
The ABCs of Death trailer.
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anoy yin barsted »

TheDukeAbides wrote:I can see where you are coming from with the phones, but I think this is obviously more for the single screening ticket holders/newbies.

I suppose you could argue that it can create a 'them and us' attitude in the weekend/day/regulars minds that we are somewhat 'better' than any average attendee - but I also feel it is to remind the average punter that you aren't at a regular cinema screening.

And whereas I appreciate the descent into silliness, I doubt anyone would shout out peado just because it was a dark cinema and it sounded offensive.

Having said that, I was getting irritated by a bloke near me who I thought kept checking his phone - turns out it was the reflection of his gigantic watch face.

Highlights:

The Seasoning House old man trolling question.
The fact I've gone another year without punching Chandon's smug face.
The Twins.
The Raid with clay cats (I was going to buy it anyway but this makes it a definite).
The French woman with her notepad and 12-questions-in-1 posers - the feeling of the people around me when they see her mane of white hair and know whats coming is great.
You, the audience.
The Sightseers trailer.
The ABCs of Death trailer.
Hi Duke- where were you sat? I am afraid that it may have been me who was distracting you, as I have a face that is big, perfectly round and quite pale, or 'watch like', as you delicately put it.

Through a lack of choice, I have put up with my face for many years, and was actually the victim of very cruel bullying during school due to my face's uncanny resemblance to a dinner plate. A few mockers have also said that my face is 'like a clock'. Once or twice I have even appeased people by drawing numbers on my cheeks and forehead with an eyeliner pencil, as I feel it is important to show that you can laugh at yourself, even if you do have a ‘gigantic watch face’.

I am sorry if you found the way that I look a distraction old matey. Let me assure you that if I could make my face smaller, and less round and pale, or 'watch like' then I would.

ps, I bet Alex Chandon's ears are burning!
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Highlights were less this year i'm afraid...

* Twisted Twins - what a delight

* Rec3 turning out to be fifty shades of awesome

* Grabbers and the love that went into making that movie

* The lovely considerate people in Q row, friendly, always on time and a pleasure to spend five days with

* Having Leicester Square back

I liked FF this year but didn't love it as much as I usually do. The anticipation and build up was good but a programme that didn't really grab me didn't help and the fact there was no "wow" movies that left me feeling the same way as I did after seeing Marytrs or Let The Right One In. There were some good films shown but nothing that blew me away.

Perhaps next year I will feel differently and there may be a programme that ticks more boxes for me. I found this year far too Italian-orientated with Tulpa, Paura, Dario, Euro-Crime etc none of which appeal.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

First time I've gone for the whole weekend and I loved it. My highlights were:

Cockneys vs Zombies (particulary for the audience reaction).
The Claycat version of "The Raid".
Dario's challenge to the hack who's remaking Suspiria "You think you can do better? Try."
The French lady asking her endless question to Dario Argento.
Dario's reply: "Could you repeat that please?"
Ross Noble's amusing warm-up for Stitches.
The two rounds of applause for the Umbrella kill in Stitches.
The hilarious Tulpa, and the gales of laughter at the appalling dialogue. I knew who the killer was going to be, but that only increased my anticipation for the inevitably hilarious reveal.
Maniac.
Sleep Tight.
Sinister (particulary for the audience reaction).
American Mary.
Him Indoors short film.
The Soska twins being amazing at the Phoenix aftwerwards.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

I loved this year's FF! We went on Saturday and Sunday day passes, and had an excellent time. My highlights are;

Greg Nicotero's excellent interview onstage on the Saturday, with added Simon Pegg.

speaking to Kim Newman about how I'd been reading his stuff for years, how he was incredibly influential in sparking my interest in horror, and generally being a giant fangirl (sorry Kim... ) :mrgreen:

Maniac on Saturday night....what a nasty little bit of work that was.

Tokophobia and Un Jour Sang, from the shorts selection. Both were amazing, nasty little shockers. It takes a lot to make me go properly shuddery, but if Un Jour Sang hadn't ended when it did, I was incredibly close to having to go and get some air!

The wonderful Sleep Tight, which was my favourite film of the time we were there. Both leads were excellent, it was absolutely pitch-perfect, and if I wasn't moving house and in packing chaos, I'd go catch it again as it's just reached the Cambridge Film Festival.

Roll on FF 2013, and thank you FF 2012!!!