"I found it very unconvincing, will there be a re-cut?"

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

"I found it very unconvincing, will there be a re-cut?"

Post by Marko »

BOOM!!!

Old bearded dude laying the smack down after the opening film 'The Seasoning house'.

I think everyone was expecting some sort of punchline, but no - he just turned up at the open mic to diss the film makers in front of 1500 people. Just wish he turned up again after Outpost 2, After and Berberian sound studio.

Genius moment!
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: "I found it very unconvincing, will there be a re-cut?"

Post by svengalidonut »

This response is not completely misguided.
Towards the end, the porcelain pig scene threw the movie off kilter and needs to be axed.
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

So without the porcelein pig the whole thing would have taken a new direction and felt far more compelling and real right?

uh huh.
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

btw, i liked the film, thought it was great. Good opening movie for the festival.

i just wanted to see the old dude pop up for more questions but unfortunately he was a one hit wonder!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

When the film finished the old dude was shuffling up the center aisle, looking a little lost. He also had tape stuck to his chest with his name on it. Next thing I know, he's up there asking a question.

I'm not sure if he even saw the film... it's like he wandered in there at the last minute and decided to have a laugh :)
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

sherbetbizarre wrote:When the film finished the old dude was shuffling up the center aisle, looking a little lost. He also had tape stuck to his chest with his name on it. Next thing I know, he's up there asking a question.

I'm not sure if he even saw the film... it's like he wandered in there at the last minute and decided to have a laugh :)

awesome! :lol:
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Still doesn't match the awesome rambling "French Lady"!!
After many years, I still can't believe I actually saw her!
I always thought it was somebody mucking about at the back ... :lol:
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anoy yin barsted »

I thought the bloke was a complete candle. It is meant to be a Q&A, not a platform to slag the film; surely this is what this forum is for?

Not constructive. Not in any way useful or interesting thing to say. He was like one of those annoying kids in school who would just shout out that they were bored in class.

Like a child he was, really. A simple child.

(I say this as someone who liked Seasoning House, but didn't go a bundle on it)
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I like how the FF audience is suppose to be the ultimate in the unoffendable and yet here comes a man looking like Harold Shipman to the mike, asks a pointed question (which I disagree with) and suddenly the audience is silent before a wave of boos rings out and he slowly walks back up the aisle.

I saw him walk back up the centre aisle and one of the helpers actually gave him his 'prize' that I think he missed first time around.

Bit of a highlight for me.
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

TheDukeAbides wrote:I like how the FF audience is suppose to be the ultimate in the unoffendable and yet here comes a man looking like Harold Shipman to the mike, asks a pointed question (which I disagree with) and suddenly the audience is silent before a wave of boos rings out and he slowly walks back up the aisle.

I saw him walk back up the centre aisle and one of the helpers actually gave him his 'prize' that I think he missed first time around.

Bit of a highlight for me.
Well, I don't think I was offended by the matey. I just don't know what the people on stage were meant to say; 'yes, yes, there will be a recut, just for you Mr. Shipman; due to your vague criticism, we shall reorganise the entire print'?

He didn't deserve his prize. In fact, I believe that he should be stripped of it. I really do.

If he got up and said, 'I thought the film was entirely convincing and there is no reason to recut it', it would have been just as pointless too, mind you.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Whether he deserves his prize or not is neither here nor there - I've heard too many banal questions that get rewarded just because someone wants a freebie, but I digress.

I just felt there was a certain level on discomfort in the audience that we look for in our films and it was real life that brought it too us on that occasion.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

I felt bad for the director Paul Hyett when he got asked that question, but since hearing that it was him who was on his phone talking and texting all throughout Tulpa I now don't feel bad for him one iota. I'm not sure why an actual director of a film showing at that festival felt it was OK to be so disrespectful to the cast and crew of the film that was showing (not to mention the rest of the crowd) despite being told to get off his phone.

What a prick.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

ArghZombies wrote:I felt bad for the director Paul Hyett when he got asked that question, but since hearing that it was him who was on his phone talking and texting all throughout Tulpa I now don't feel bad for him one iota. I'm not sure why an actual director of a film showing at that festival felt it was OK to be so disrespectful to the cast and crew of the film that was showing (not to mention the rest of the crowd) despite being told to get off his phone.

What a prick.
That is outrageous. What a complete tool. Why didn't Ian decapitate him?

This is very disappointing. Was it him who was responsible for that commotion at the start of Tulpa?

For what it is worth, I thought Tulpa was ten times the film Seasoning House was (although the main actress was utterly devastating- perhaps the best performance of the festival). Perhaps he was jealous.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

jonbly didn't mind the piggies themselves - just felt that that fight scene was unconvincing (after they'd done good work with the big guy earlier on).
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

ArghZombies wrote:I felt bad for the director Paul Hyett when he got asked that question, but since hearing that it was him who was on his phone talking and texting all throughout Tulpa I now don't feel bad for him one iota. I'm not sure why an actual director of a film showing at that festival felt it was OK to be so disrespectful to the cast and crew of the film that was showing (not to mention the rest of the crowd) despite being told to get off his phone.

What a prick.
I heard that as well; when his film has been chosen to kick off the biggest horror fest in the UK, he really should show more fucking respect, so ungrateful and inconsiderate.

Anyway that question with the old beardy man was rather surreal, he just said "I was unconvinced. Can it be re-cut?", without mentioning exactly what he was unconvinced about or anything about the film...he came across as half rude obnoxious twat, and half strange creepy univited intruder from another planet.

I did like the way Paul Hyett in the next question went on about how he'd visit Balkan brothels, seen the hardships of the girls, heard tales about girls being murdered for no reason in from of others, etc, to invalidate Harold Shipman's "unconvincing" comment! :D ...the only unconvining part of the film was the idea a teeny tiny girl could repeatedly kill so many huge army thugs, but I didn't mind that as it added some humour to proceedings and stopped the film being totally grim.

As stupid questions go, this is the only time there's been any tension between audience member and director, since 2008 when that guy decided to put the director of Martyrs on the spot with his "Was that supposed to be an important film or just gory?" question. The only other tense Q&A I can think of was after Smash Cut and it was so shit no one wanted to ask any questions about it, and after a few minutes of silence someone nervously put there hand up and said "ummm....I liked the posters in the film".