Haunter

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Haunter

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - really liked this one. Good performances and effects.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Haunter

Post by Stephen with ph »

One of the best movies I've seen in years. Sorry Alan, but I loved every moment. 10/10 :D
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

PG-13 middle of the road ghosty stuff. Not my bag at the best of times. Happily killed 90 minutes with it, but I'll never see it again.

6/10
Wortsie
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Wortsie »

Worst film I've seen so far this year - a complete yawn-fest.

1 star (out of 5)
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Loved this one too, reminded me of Ti West's Innkeepers. Shame it'll likely get a cert 15 (I'd imagine) as every 12 year old should watch this instead of Twilight.

Only negative really is that the rules of the after life weren't explained so you couldn't actively get involved in the mystery and I'd question how Lisa knew some of the things she did (like the spirits of all the killer's victims having to unite to defeat him).

But, still a beautifully realised movie.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Pretty mainstream ghost story aimed at teenage girls, but it's a good film that's worth recommending. It has a lot of problems in that the complexity of the fantasy setup takes a lot of explanation and the rules often seem arbitrary, which distanced me from events, but the emotional component, while slightly sentimental, does work, mainly thanks to a brilliant performance from Abigail Breslin. It's also well done how the mystery all fits together and is resolved, and I liked that they didn't feel the need to shoehorn in any pointless love interests for the teenage girl characters. 6/10
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Found the first 20 minutes a bit off putting as it just threw you into the middle of things with no explanation of what was going on, and it seemed to be trying to be scary but was totally failing; but after that it really picked up and I got totally into it, good choice for the actor for the killer as well, he looked genuinely evil. Ending was a bit soppy, but it had been quite dark before that so it was forgiveable. Best film of Friday imo 8/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Average and sometimes was trying to be a bit too clever for its own good.
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

I really don't like Groundhog Day type films. It was nicely shot and I found it interesting, but it ended up making me feel sleepy. It really is a young teenage girl's dream film.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I really wanted to like this one, but felt some of the repeated sequences became a little tiresome. Abigail Breslin really carried the film with an excellent performance though, while suspenseful sequences and mystery were also plus points. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Kept me interested at the time but quite forgettable after that.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It wasn't exactly a life-changing experience, but I liked it a lot and it was probably my favourite of this year's films.

I liked the pure supernatural fantasy elements (and the similarities to Coraline), it really stood out from all the POV, found-footage, pseudo-documentary stuff.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I liked it very much, it was one of my favourites of the weekend. I think it's smart to not explain everything straight off, given that most of the characters are in that situation. I lost track of events a few times, but managed to more or less put it all together. Good stuff.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

I knew right from the beginning that I was going to love this, and finding the little door behind the tumble dryer just nailed it for me.

By itself the concept of ghosts of a serial killer coming back to exact their revenge is completely unoriginal, but it was all in the execution. Beautifully shot, and evenly paced, but I was hooked from start to finish.

I loved the idea that after the killer died he found a way to continue what he was doing, and loved the way when the rest of the family were still in denial that they still looked uneasy when the pattern was broken as they knew something was wrong.

Probably my favourite film of the Festival, although I didn't see Cheap Thrills or You're Next.
Lou_Roll
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lou_Roll »

This was my absolute favourite film of the whole festival.
It was pretty different, I liked the way it was told, the different styles and shots.
MI5 messed with my salad.
Twitter: Lou_Roll