Advice for Loner Newbie

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
exclamation11
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Advice for Loner Newbie

Post by exclamation11 »

Hallo!

I'm going to FF for the first time on my own this year, and was wondering if anyone had any tips/insight on what it's like.

Do people tend to get there right before the first film, or is it way too crowded? Do you bring in outside food/drink/booze or is it strictly Vue-only stuff? (Only ask as it seems like there's not a ton of space in between screenings, but maybe that's part-and-parcel of being a FFer). Do people go on their own, or is it like regular moviegoing where that still looks sad? (I know/feel this as a frequent solo moviegoer)

I do know someone who's going, but he has his own group, so will be off kinda catching up with them. I'm kinda stressing out about not looking like an awkward loser to the point where I'm debating giving the whole thing a miss :( so any info welcome!

Thank you kindly!
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Advice for Loner Newbie

Post by ArghZombies »

Plenty of people go on their own to this, so don't worry about that. Just introduce yourself to the people you sit next to, have a brief chat about things and you'll be fine. Or don't, of course. Perfectly acceptable to just sit and enjoy the movie without chatting to people. It depends what you prefer really.

I've been on my own in the past, and I've also been with a few mates, and the experience is good either way. This year I only did a single day thing. Although some mates were there already doing the full weekend I ended up in a different screen to them, and with different start/finish times I didn't get to catch up with them as much as I'd have wanted to. But that didn't really matter because there are plenty of people to chat to. You are all there for the same reason, so it's easy to start up a conversation.

Between films you have about 45 minutes / 1 hr, which is useful to go get some food, have a drink or just chill out on Twitter and real other peoples comments. Whatever you fancy really.

Going to the cinema on your own for regular movies is a very different experience. I'd be unlikely to do that myself, but I wouldn't ever have a problem with going alone to a festival. It's such a different experience, everyone is really friendly and you'll have a blast.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

I hope you're having a blast. I'm almost certain you are. And for many more years to come.
exclamation11
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by exclamation11 »

Thank you both! Hopefully I'll get over the shyness tomorrow :3
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

Yes, plenty of people here on their own so don't worry about it! If you're picking up a day pass there was a bit of a queue this morning so worth allowing plenty of time before the first film.

No problem bringing food and drink from outside, not sure about booze though

Have fun!