Personal safety

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
KrisK
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Personal safety

Post by KrisK »

Not writing this to alarm anyone but in light of recent events please all be careful when you are out and about in London town

Some useful advice given to me was me mindful if you are out in a public place and you've got headphones in, if something did go off then how would you hear it?

If you are out in public places and something happened think about what you would do and where would you go to

Run, Hide, Tell is probably the best advice i've heard

If you do call 999 and can not speak then dial 55 as that indicates you are in a position where talking is not safe for where you are

Be vigilant and if something doesn't appear right or typical of what you would expect it to be then report it.

Let's all have a great festival, enjoy it and look out for each other but stay safe
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Personal safety

Post by Whiptail »

I approve of this advice! Also, if youre thinking of dressing up or bringing any 'props' (ie chucky dolls) think twice about any fake weapons you might want to bring. Under the circumstances and in light of recent events, its probably better to be safer that have that authentic chucky doll with the fake kitchen knife.
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

Good advice! Some other ideas I saw suggested after the Manchester attack:

- bring a portable phone charger
- have a note of some emergency contact details in your bag / wallet (how many phone numbers do you actually know if your phone isn't working!)
- have a note of your hotel address too, and of how to get there, if you're not familiar with the area - as above, don't rely on google maps on your phone.

In the very unlikely event of there being an incident, the main impact outside of the immediate area will be on the transport system - speaking from experience as I was staying in London the night of the London Bridge attack. So knowing how to get around and working out an alternative route back to your hotel is a good idea.
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MrsE »

For those who don't know London well both the Citymapper app (free on Apple and Android) and https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ give both public transport and walking routes between any two points in London and have pretty quick updates on transport problems
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

I'm charging my portable phone charger as a result of this thread :)

hingethunder wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:38 am Good advice! Some other ideas I saw suggested after the Manchester attack:

- bring a portable phone charger
- have a note of some emergency contact details in your bag / wallet (how many phone numbers do you actually know if your phone isn't working!)
- have a note of your hotel address too, and of how to get there, if you're not familiar with the area - as above, don't rely on google maps on your phone.

In the very unlikely event of there being an incident, the main impact outside of the immediate area will be on the transport system - speaking from experience as I was staying in London the night of the London Bridge attack. So knowing how to get around and working out an alternative route back to your hotel is a good idea.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Also, check to see if there's a man living in the back of your wardrobe.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Did any of this advice actually get used or needed?
The only thing to be vigilant of were the religious preachers outside.

I live here and work here...dangers are everywhere...given we are inside a cinema 80% of the time if something did happen outside we'd probably be ok.

:)
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

MalJutley wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am Did any of this advice actually get used or needed?
The only thing to be vigilant of were the religious preachers outside.

I live here and work here...dangers are everywhere...given we are inside a cinema 80% of the time if something did happen outside we'd probably be ok.

:)
My thoughts exactly, bit OTT. I've managed to live here for the best part of 17 years without falling victim to a plague of locusts...
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Indeed I've been here all my life and yes its dangerous but the 80's was pretty bad too.
Good to be vigilant but common sense takes over in most cases
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Although probably worth bearing in mind that some of us come from sleepier towns and also are not necessarily familiar with the geography - I'd like to think I have been coming to Frightfest long enough to know my way around the environs, but if streets started to be closed then getting around efficiently would be much more difficult.

Personally I found the "homeless" problem disturbing most of all - the last few years each year there has been a tangible increase and they seemed to be everywhere this year and in greater numbers. Whilst most are either passive or only ask for money some can be more persistent or unpleasant. I say "homeless" as I know not all of them are genuine.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.