Cult of Chucky

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Cult of Chucky

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - Really enjoyed the first half... but this movie's random rule change seemed very arbitrary (and by this point I already had a better alternative in mind using Tiffany,Glen and Glenda). Andy's appearance was entirely wasted.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Cult of Chucky

Post by DavieT »

A good fun movie to kick things off with. Really liked it and the multiple Chucky's - personally I would have liked a few more of them rampaging about. I thought Andy was going to do more but just locking him in the cell was a waste of him.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jon H »

I enjoyed the film - but it felt a little disappointing after Curse of Chucky. For me, the balance between self referential humour and genuine plot driven scares wasn't right.

That said; it was a lot of fun. Jennifer Tilly and Fiona Dourif were fabulous and there was some great set pieces with Chucky.

I suppose that sums Cult of Chucky up for me - a fun film, whereas Curse of Chucky was a great film. 6/10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I didn't think this was as good as the previous instalment, which seemed to played straighter and was more menacing, whereas this became increasingly OTT as it went on. First half definitely better than the second. 6 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

The latest installment from Don Mancini and team won't disappoint fans of the franchise; some imaginative touches enliven the formula. Fiona Dourif is a particular highlight, really channeling the spirit of her old man. 6/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I'm not the biggest fan of the franchise, but I found Curse very entertaining when it premiered as it worked as a film in its own right and had plenty of insider nods for the rabid fans.

Cult, I felt, was made more for the hardcore and less for consumption by casual fans as well as being a clear 'episode' in a continuing franchise rather than a film that can stand alone in its own right.

5/10
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Thought this was ok, decent enough fun but pretty slapdash and needed more work.
Spoiler:
The kills lacked impact, Andy was wasted, and there were loads plot strands left hanging. Chucky seems to basically have limitless powers; he can possess whoever he likes, whenever he likes, as many times as he likes but he bothers with this elaborate plot to get himself into Fiona Dourif who's in a wheelchair, just because.
In the annals of Fright Fest opening films this wasn't bad, but a bit meh. Q&A was fun though.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Jennifer Tilley's performance in the q&a was a festival highlight. The film not so much but what can you expect from the seventh film in a killer doll franchise?
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Nica gets sent to a remote psychiatric hospital which apparently only has about five patients (not sure if it's going to be economic to keep that place going...). Chucky, who can apparently possess anyone and anything, inexplicably decides it's really important to go after her, and Andy decides it's crucial to go there and do... something... armed with a single handgun. And Jennifer Tilly's there because she's Jennifer Tilly.

Did they actually have a script?

And not much of a cult, was it?
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

There is a comparison now I feel between the increasing amount of Chucky movies and the Hatchet series, the films along with the directors have taken it the baton handed to them willingly by the horror genre faithful and can go about building a legacy to fill a void left by what is always going to be the inevitable deaths of the directors of the 60/70/80's horror films.

That said it was enjoyable pop-corn fun and Jennifer Tilley should host everything.

6/10
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

It was an okay film but it seemed a bit hollow with an unsatifying ending. Andy was wasted and about as useful as a wet tea-towel, and the deaths were unimagiative. In fact the first main death was taken directly from Bride of Chucky, pretty much.

Acting was fine, characters were decent, effects good and multiple chuckies were cool, but I think Chuckys reveal was a bit too early. I think it would have been a much better film if the only one for most of the film was the one at Andys lodge and we were kept wondering if the ones at the hospital were just plain dolls and Nica was infact insane, only to have it revealed that there were 3 in the end after all. Also loved the fact that even Chucky can find people that he finds sick.

Jennifer Tilly is certainly a larger than life character in real life. I would have said that her acting in the film was a bit OTT, but seeing how she really is, it makes sense. Despite being a gay guy, I think I love her!

As the whole magic mumbo-jumbo rules kept changing im a little confused....
Spoiler:
Is Alice now in Tiffany, or has Tilly duplicated too?

Is the Chucky that killed multiple Malcolm still Chucky, or has the magic left him?

What did happen to that Chuckys hair?
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Whiptail wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 pm
Spoiler:
Is Alice now in Tiffany, or has Tilly duplicated too?

Is the Chucky that killed multiple Malcolm still Chucky, or has the magic left him?

What did happen to that Chuckys hair?
Spoiler:
Yeah, Alice is in Tiffany, at least that's how I read it.

I think there were three Chuckys (Chuckies?) left at the hospital and the Chucky in Nica. Magic mumbo-jumbo, like you say.

My guess is, Andy cut it so he knew which doll would have the hidden gun inside.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I thought Curse of Chucky was a reasonable return to form and surprisingly good for a sixth entry, however Cult of Chucky, while retaining some of the fun, is a definite step down. Don Mancini introduced the film saying that the "cult" of the title was meant to represent the fans and that it was made for them. The problem with aiming films at fans, apart from limiting the audience, is that it relies on continuity references and repeating greatest hits rather than telling a unique story. The film does introduce a new twist on the Chucky mythology to switch things up a bit and keep the audience guessing, but this has the side effect of ending up making Chucky too powerful and opens up a lot of questions that the film never explains or explores. It's also unclear what Chucky's goal is in this one. He just seems to decide to go after Fiona Dourif's character again for no reason. But leaving aside the poor plot, we're really here to see Chucky kill people and cause chaos, which he does at regular intervals and there are a couple of impressively gory and set pieces. The mental hospital setting works well here and provides some good opportunities to render the characters immobile so they can be at the mercy of Chucky. On a side note, Jennifer Tilly was brilliant in the Q&A afterwards, I enjoyed that more than the film.