Lowlife

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Lowlife

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Lots to like here as the film winds through multiple viewpoints to give all sides of its story.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Lowlife

Post by Alex J »

I wasn't sure whether this would be my cup of tea, but I'm glad I watched this Tarantino-esque jigsaw of interlocking tales that was a heady blend of humour, violence and heart. It touches on various sociopolitical issues, but not in a preachy way, but certainly entertainingly. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Featuring a host of bizarre characters, smart writing and a great soundtrack, the film is split into overlapping segments. Confusion reigns in the first segment, but as pieces start falling into place, you find yourself wanting to go along for the ride. One of the standouts of the festival for me. 8/10
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

Went in with no expectations to this one and it turned out to be my favourite of the festival. Hope it gets a wide release - it deserves it.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Didn't know what to expect, the magazine write up and the film title didn't inspire but this was another standout film.

Well structured, demented, well acted, hissable villians and cheerable, sympathetic protagonists, darkly humourous and a nice line in violence and guessing.

8/10
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

This was brilliant...one of my top 5 of the festival. Not only topical but grim enough to really grab you. The Legend Is All!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

This felt a lot like Pulp Fiction with its cast of colourful criminals and interlocking achronological storytelling. There were a lot of these Pulp Fiction knockoffs in the nineties, so Lowlife feels like its coming late to the party but it justifies its existence through strong characterisation and good writing and forges its own identity by being amusingly bonkers, with its criminals including a luchadore and a guy with a huge swastika tattooed over his face now worried about how he'll find employment. This film seemed to go fast by dint of its witty dialogue and fast-moving plot that keeps adding twists to keep things interesting, and it also has a surprising amount of heart when so many of these similar films go in a cynical nihilistic direction. I don't feel like it's anywhere close to a masterpiece, but it could have a shot at being a minor cult film. Still one of the best of the festival.