The End?

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

The End?

Post by WraithApe »

If The Bar was a great example of how to do a predominantly single location film, The End? is anything but. This one tries to find a fresh angle (literally) on the zombie apocalypse thing by having a guy trapped in a lift throughout, watching his co-workers go feral through a small gap in the lift doors. The main problem with this is that there is virtually no tension and the guy is a total dick; consequently you are stuck for over an hour in a very small space with a guy you really couldn't give a crap about. The End? Let's hope so. 3/10
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: The End?

Post by hingethunder »

I enjoyed this for the first hour or so but it outstayed its welcome. Had multiple endings which made the title somewhat ironic. Cut by 20 or 30 minutes this could be much more effective.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Ran too long, didn't like the lead character and there was nothing remotely original about it.

I thought the gap in the lift door could have worked well along with the establishing long corridor shot but neither of them were used in any tense of jump scare sense.

Though slick and fairly well made and acted it was also dull, boring and predictable and I would have liked
Spoiler:
to see the guy have got shot at the end.
2/10
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by svengalidonut »

I liked this movie.

The opening scenes were clever. The main character was initially an utter prick. Putting everyone down.

I enjoyed the later interaction with the cop.

I would have liked Sylvia (the new secretary) to have lived at least 5 mts longer - but her sudden elimination was quite shocking.

Yes, maybe the hero should have been shot at the end.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I'll probably never watch it again, but I thought it was quite well done and a bit different despite featuring most of the standard zombie movie cliches.

As for the ending,
Spoiler:
I thought it was a bit silly that he was so confident there'd be no zombies still around when he finally got the lift door open.
Perhaps he'd seen the script. But I'm glad he didn't get shot, we've seen that so many times before and it would've been too bleak - for me at least - if no-one survived.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I found this to be rather boring. Single location films can work well, but this one isn't able to generate much interest due to the plain brushed metal walls of the lift looking dull and there being a lack of threat throughout the movie: essentially the main character is safe from the zombies in the lift, so there's not much way for any tension to be generated. On top of that I found the yuppie to be a deeply unlikeable character. Right from the start he's proud of cheating on his wife. As the movie progresses he's supposed to become more likeable and realise the error of his ways, but it seemed like it shouldn't be any credit to him that it takes a zombie apocalypse to reassess his life choices, so I never cared about what was going to happen to him. On top of that the film stretches out the ending too much. Not the worst of Frightfest, but definitely in a lower tier than most of the other films.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

Way too long for what it was. I think Stalled did this much better and for a lot less money. The thing that made me laugh the most was his means of escape
Spoiler:
ended up being one of the first things he did when he first got stuck in the lift. pulling the handrail off the wall. It took him an hour to decide (or maybe the cop told him) to use it to break the little plastic hook keeping the door stuck.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime