Summer of 84

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Summer of 84

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - Excellent. A surprisingly realistic movie coming off the back of 'Turbo Kid' - don't think this is more of the same, the limited gore here is is well-rendered and well-used. Good pacing and good performances.
Seat@theBack
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Summer of 84

Post by Seat@theBack »

It's nice to have a horror movie about an especially dull summer rather than another about the scorcher in '76!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Another film I had a few minor quibbles about whether some of the references were appropriate for the time setting, but that aside, I really enjoyed this one. Yes, it is a little like The Goonies, but the mystery is engaging and the characters likeable.
Spoiler:
The ending does get very dark and bleak, but I actually thought this helps to elevate the film into a superior effort.
9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

Loved this. All the kids were really good. Some very funny dialogue and the tonal change worked and had a great emotional effect. Loved the soundtrack too.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

8/10 - Nice, unpretentious plot with strong acting by the kids. Strong reminiscences of Disturbia. A pleasure to watch
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

6/10. There comes a point where there's a surfeit of these kind of films, with their pointed references (BMX bikes, Rush posters on the bedroom wall, conversations about Ewoks and watching Close Encounters on a sleepover) and a low-key synth score, sounding more 80s than anything from the 80s. The evocation of the era is almost too slick, too on the nose. For some, that point will already have been reached, and the jarring tonal shift in the film's third act will be divisive too, but I kinda liked it. It keeps you guessing till the end whether it's a film about Davey's conspiracy theory fuelled paranoia and unjustified mistrust of your neighbours (Old Man Marley style) or whether there really is something in the basement.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

Stand by me with a touch of Hitchcock. Marvellous!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I liked it a lot. My brother told me it tapped into the Stranger Things feel but I haven't seen that, so for me it was Rear Window, Fright Night, Stand By Me and the Goonies.

It could've been tightened up a little - a few less jokes about wanking in the first half hour, perhaps - but it didn't betray it's budget at all and I was surprised how dark and genuinely frightening it got at the end.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

This one has fairly obvious precedents: it's an 80s kid's coming-of-age adventure typified Stand by Me and The Goonies but it closely follows the plot of Hitchcock's Rear Window, with a bit of Shadow of a Doubt thrown in there too (one of my friends said it reminded him of Disturbia which horrified me). We're going through a phase of 80s nostalgia at the moment, as all the 80s kids reach producer age, and this film does it better than most with some good recreations of the era with a lot of period detail. The electronic soundtrack is also a particular pleasure to listen to.

It helps the film that the kids are all interesting and recognisable characters, even if they do have a lot of stock character traits I've seen before. The script has some sharply observed teenage dialogue and some good scenes of suspense.

The ending was strange in that while it's a powerful scene of suspense, it's an abrupt change of tone from the rest of the film so doesn't seem to fit. Like a couple of other films over the Frightfest weekend, it could have done with ending a little sooner than it did. It didn't hurt my enjoyment of the film too much, as at least it was surprising and they didn't go the expected route.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Want to get in normal male behaviour which is now deemed up-PC without upsetting too many people?
Set it in the 80s.

I too thought the dark turn at the end was a bit too stark and more could have been suggested about all not being well as the film progressed, ie the kid who live in the violent household.

Unless that was the point, kids losing themselves to the joy of being kids and then it all comes crashing down when the real world steps in.

A good film that stood out in a solid line up this year.