Tigers Are Not Afraid

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Tigers Are Not Afraid

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - liked it, but didn't love it... I didn't really connect with the characters. Pretty sure I'll be in the minority with this one, though - the room seemed smitten.
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Tigers Are Not Afraid

Post by leytonrocks »

One of the best films at this year's FF
VictorCrowley82
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by VictorCrowley82 »

That film broke me. Best film of the festival!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

It seems that films leaving me an emotional wreck are like buses, because after waiting a few festivals for such a film this was the second of the weekend for me! In some ways there are no great surprises in the movie and I have seen more brutal and nihilistic films on similar subjects, but something about this really makes an impact. I did think there was going to be more fantasy though.
Spoiler:
Did anyone else interpret the ending being that the girl dies, or do we just put the final shots down to being part of the fantasy?
9.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Alex J wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:15 pm
Spoiler:
Did anyone else interpret the ending being that the girl dies, or do we just put the final shots down to being part of the fantasy?
Spoiler:
That really annoyed me. I didn't interpret it as her death, but I did think that it was horribly cheesy... (cf studio versions of Brazil & Blade Runner)
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

9/10. Standout of the fest for me. Strong storytelling, genuinely moving while eschewing overt sentimentality, coupled with imaginative cinematography and crisp sound design make this a real gem of magical realism.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Can only echo all previous comments. Plus good to have a Q&A after a film, even if it was a bit rushed, the director was also very charming but she still hasn't convinced me to visit Mexico.

As regards interpretations, just go with how you feel has the bigger impact, or happier outcome if that is what you need.

As is always the case inlife, the real horror is man's capacity to do evil to each other, especially children.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I thought it was very good indeed... but at the same time I didn't totally connect with it. I certainly couldn't call it one of the top 10 FrightFest films of all time, as Mr McEvoy was telling us.

The (spoilerised) final scene referred to above felt rather cheesy, I knew it would end just like that but I was a bit disappointed that it did.

Still, good Q&A at the end.