Anna and the Apocalypse

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Anna and the Apocalypse

Post by svengalidonut »

Very enjoyable.
9 out of 10.
Deserves to be a big hit.
The main lead and the key support roles were of high quality.
Music and lyrics were punchy.
I will recommend this to friends (even though I don't have any friends!)

My only criticism is that it slightly lost momentum and focus 2/3rds the way through.
Would benefit from a tighter edit in this section.

Overall, though, a great film, and the director, crew and cast should feel proud.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Anna and the Apocalypse

Post by Whiptail »

Its no 'Once More with Feeling' but it was fairly cool. None of the songs stuck with me though.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

We skipped this to watch Tigers Are Not Afraid but it seems to have gone down fairly well.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Really enjoyed this. Went in with low expectations and came out with a big smile on my face and a couple of the tunes still stuck in my head. Which isn't bad given the downbeat direction the movie gradually takes after the buoyant start. Some decent gore effects as well (loved the zombie snowman meeting the see saw gag). One of my favourite scenes was the festive school play in front of a family audience with the Lisa character singing a saucy song about wanting her chimney unblocking. Priceless. There were some pacing issues late on but that doesn't stop me giving this an easy 8/10.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Horror-comedy-musicals are a classic form perhaps because there's such a disparate array of elements that need to be got right, resulting in a lot of risk but big rewards if everything goes right. Anna and the Apocalypse is far too uneven to match up to the greats of the genre like Rocky Horror Picture Show or Little Shop of Horrors, but enough things do go right that it endend up being one of the strongest films of the festival.

It's a lot more of a high school musical than it is a zombie film, but it's the zombie film elements that are the most successful. There's a strong set of character arcs in the classic apocalypse film style where each character reveals their true nature under pressure, and few of them are predictable. There's also some good zombie gore and action.

The musical elements are less successful; the songs are fun to listen to but aren't memorable, and the choreography often seems like the actors doing whatever dance moves they feel like.

This will definitely have more appeal than just horror fans and is a good addition to the expanding roster of Christmas horror movies.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

I felt that this would've worked better as just a horror comedy. The songs, although not as grating as I'd expected, did drag the whole thing out rather and I could easily have lived without them.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

a bit of a curate's egg. The zombie stuff was actually pretty ordinary and i could feel some strain to keep away from Shaun of the dead. Imean a film about getting a group of disparate slackers back to their loved ones during an zombie apocalypse has been done a zillion times hasn't it? Overall they got away with it and I hope it does well for them