Bad Behaviour

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
Lou_Roll
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Bad Behaviour

Post by Lou_Roll »

This was my first full time at Frightfest for the full 5 days, last year I went for a couple of individual days and films.
Many Thanks to the organisers for a great film lineup.

:!: However.... :!:

I must say I was highly unimpressed by a lot of the behaviour I witnessed by a larger amount of people than I expected.
Primarily, when 'free' stuff was available. Myself and others were aggressively pushed and shoved deliberately out of the way (I was just trying to get out, I didn't even want anything.). A group of 4 guys deliberately shoved me saying 'Get out of the way' just to get hold of a free poster or cap or whatever was on offer. One girl got properly elbowed in the ribs without an apology from the person.
When trying to get past, one guy knocked me in the face with his DVDs. He turned round to look at me and then just walked off.
Accidental pushing or shoving is understandable in a busy environment, but this was not accidental.

Also, I could see some people were selfishly grabbing armfuls of stuff resulting in no one else getting anything. The volunteers should have regulated it and handed stuff out rather than just putting the boxes down and creating hordes.

It's just stuff, people really need to get a grip.

When at the Cinema Store stand, I was going to buy something. I set it down to get my purse out and someone snatched it. I said 'Excuse me, I was just buying this' and the person said 'yeah, but I want it more.'

And, when I went to speak to a couple of the 'special' guests who I know in the industry (I work in film/TV), one fan pushed me out the way (deliberately, they said 'I was here first.'.) Their attitude changed miraculously to embarrassment when they realised I was not a 'fan.' But it goes to show the selective behaviour. Had I been, they would have continued as they started.

I am aware on the whole there are a lot of nice, normal people at Frightfest also (and I spoke to some), but I'll be honest after the amount of poor behaviour myself and others witnessed, it has put me off.
Last edited by Lou_Roll on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MI5 messed with my salad.
Twitter: Lou_Roll
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Bad Behaviour

Post by steve806 »

Lou

I echo your sentiments. I have attended every Frightfest and this is an element who behave in this way every year. Particular gripes for me are:

Mobile Phones:

Yes, that old chestnut, but this year I was able to obtain a different perspective on this hugely annoying distraction. For the first time ever I was in the circle as opposed to the stalls and the vantage point allows you to see just how wide spread it is. Interestingly, the volume of people using mobiles reduces significantly during sub titled films suggesting that the offenders are not absent mindedly checking their phones but are very aware that they cannot read subtitles and check their phones at the same time and then when the next non subtitled film starts they revert to checking their phones every 10 minutes.

I must give particular thanks to the moron in front row/middle of the circle who played with his phone through the first 2 segments of Chillerama, switched it off for the subtitled Diary of Anne Frankenstein and then switched it back on the moment that segment ended.

I applaud everyone who was brave enough to challenge the phone users (I challenged many) and have nothing but scorn for those of you who are so insecure that you cannot survive more than 10 minutes without wondering if someone has contacted you.

Chatterers:

People who wanted to discuss every aspect of every film while the film was playing. Seriously, if you cannot sit quietly and watch the film wait till it comes out on DVD and then talk over it to your hearts content.

Free Stuff and Cinema Stall:

You have said it all Lou.

The queues outside and the Leicester Square Redevelopment:

The redevelopment was an obstacle but unavoidable, however on a few ocassions where it became a gridlock the behaviour of some frightfesters trying to get to the Empire (often well in advance of films starting I might add) was appalling. Instead of waiting patiently as we moved forward towards the entrance some people barged through, pushed others out of the way and acted very aggressively towards anyone who would not get out of their way. I witnessed the ££ doormen taking abuse from quite a few Frightfesters as they tried to use the ££ entrance as a way of circumnavigating the queues.

Similarly, the behaviour of some in queueing for the toilets, queueing to show tickets and queueing at the food stand was equally appalling.

The thieves:

From those who thought that anything left lying around was fair game to the people that stole or tried to steal posters off the walls of the Empire. Particular mention goes to the guy who tried to steal a Chillerama poster after the showing on Saturday whose only response to being caught by the staff and asked to put the poster back was 'Oh well, worth a try wasnt it'.

Having said all this, a huge effort is made by the organisers, the Empire staff and the huge number of Frightfesters who get what it is all about and are just decent human beings to stop bad behaviour and try to ensure everyone has a good time.

Unfortunately the small minority causing the problems simply dont care. Enough messages and announcements are made about acceptable behaviour and you wonder what more could be done but the simple truth is a minority exists at every public gathering you could name that lack basic human values (politeness, courtesy etc).

However, as always the organisers provided a great selection of films, guests and surprises and put a huge amount of effort into making sure the weekend is a success. The Empire staff worked tirelessly and at least from my experience were helpful and polite and last but not least all the frightfesters who were friendly and like me enjoyed a weekend of great films in a civilised way. I say hello to the various people I met and discussed the films with from the next table in KFC, Burger King, Pret etc. These are the people who make the event what it is, not the small group of idiots who couldnt care less how they affect others.

I for one will be back next year, enjoying the films and the company of fellow frightfesters, challenging those who cant switch their phones off and generally doing my best to avoid/ignore the bad behaviour and try to concentrate on all the great things about frightfest.

Lou, I hope the downsides you experienced this year do not stop you attending next year, after all if they have that effect on the rest of us then the b******s win, and we cant have that can we?
Lou_Roll
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lou_Roll »

Mobile phones wasn't an issue from where I was thankfuly, but I see that as a general problem not specific to Frightfest (A general cinema issue everywhere.)

A lot of the things I mentioned are Frightfest only, I have not had this at other events.
MI5 messed with my salad.
Twitter: Lou_Roll
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

I was only there for a day this year. On Sat night I went down to the front to get a T-shirt and got elbowed in the head (being a wheelchair user I'm on a lower level the most people, on someone standing the elbow would've hit the ribs. Quite glad I wasn't standing as one of my ribs is currently broken so it really would've hurt). Then the guy just looked at my head in disgust because it was in his way.

This was my 3rd FF and in some ways I've noticed a year on year improvement in behaviour. My first FF no-one spoke to me. At all. ALL weekend. I had not one single conversation with a soul over 5 whole days. And I'd heard all about how FF was such a welcoming family.

Last year I mentioned that on here a few days before FF so a few forum users made the effort to come say "hi," and the guy in the seat next to me was friendly enough.

But this year I had conversations with people between every film. It was nice.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
Pork Chop Express
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pork Chop Express »

This was my first full time at Frightfest too and I was really shocked at how badly behaved some people were. Most people were great, really friendly and helpful, but there was a small minority that behaved in a really selfish manner.
I'd like to give special thanks to the two idiots in seats R11 and 12 who talked during every film and then had an attitude when they were told to shut up by the people around them. It even got to the point where the Empire manager moved us to alternative seats for films that weren't sold out.
Overall I had a great time and a few dick heads' behaviour won't stop me coming again, but I think some people come for all of the wrong reasons and the festival would be better without them.
Darkly Noon
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Darkly Noon »

I didn't clock much of the way of bad behaviour personally, except for the mad DVD/T-shirt rush on Monday evening which seemed to bring out the worst in some people.

Not necessarily bad behaviour, and I don't mean to make light of the thread, but my only real complaint was the guy two rows ahead of me in the middle of row O who seemingly had no concept of what a belt was - every time he stood up, his tracksuit trousers were falling down and he flashed the whole of the moon at those of us unlucky enough to be sitting behind him. :shock:
BigWillyStephenson
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by BigWillyStephenson »

Yeah i have to agree with Lou about this.There were some really rude people.I met Lou at frightfest as she was 2 seats to my left.We witnessed first hand what arseholes some of these people are.We both ventured down to the front and were met with shoving and elbowing and rudeness.Some of them were just so fucking greedy and were taking half a dozen dvds each.People like this we really do not need at frightfest.The event itself was fantastic though and i will definitely attend next year.Next up October 29th Halloween allnighter.Sweet!!!.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

I've got to say, when free stuff is out, it is just scary! If there is free stuff i only get it to give to my brother and sister and i am as civil and patient as possible. If i don't get nothing, big deal? But this years 'most pit' of free stuff was nasty. But i've still seen worse. I'm not sure if it was in glasgow or the first year at the empire, but during the 'free stuff mosh pit' someone actually SCRATCHED Ian Rattray (it was or paul) on the hand trying to get stuff and didn't even appologise?! that was just INSANE! :shock:
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

bump3r1 wrote:some people do need to sort out there behaviour, the back of my chair was constantly kicked and prodded!.
The other side of this is that the guy sat in front of me grumbled every time someone nudged his seat back. Obviously I totally understand getting annoyed during a film if people kick the back of your seat. However if you book an aisle seat in that big central section of stalls people will have to brush past the back of your seat to get to theirs. Growling at them won't make them any less likely to brush the back of his seat on account of the limited space between rows, and just creates an air of ill feeling.
@lisybabe on Twitter

Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

lisy-babe wrote:
bump3r1 wrote:some people do need to sort out there behaviour, the back of my chair was constantly kicked and prodded!.
The other side of this is that the guy sat in front of me grumbled every time someone nudged his seat back. Obviously I totally understand getting annoyed during a film if people kick the back of your seat. However if you book an aisle seat in that big central section of stalls people will have to brush past the back of your seat to get to theirs. Growling at them won't make them any less likely to brush the back of his seat on account of the limited space between rows, and just creates an air of ill feeling.
I'd like to apologise on the behalf of my friend for that, it was pissing me off as well.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
bump3r1
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by bump3r1 »

No need for any apologies in my case, I'm as laid back as they come and the only time it really bothered me was when I was dozing off during the pants films as I was then back awake and having to endure more punishment (urban explorers anyone?lol). Actually it also sometimes made me jump during a film so it was liking having an interactive chair :)
You think darkness is your ally but you have merely adopted the dark, i was born in it!!

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!

Craig Beecham - Facebook.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Eek, my apology was to lisy-babe (sorry about that). I tried to explain to him that we have aisle seats and will have if need be a person in a wheel chair behind us so asked him to be a little understanding, but alas.

Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Maybe all of these free goodies could be put into the largely empty goody-bags that were either given to weekend passholders or stuck behind the store stall being peddled as FULLY LOADED for £20. I believe it's traditional for goody-bags to contain goodies. It make sense from a semantic standpoint, at least. Doesn't it? Let me just check that T-shirts and posters still qualify as "goodies"...Yes, yes they do. According to all.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Meanbobs wrote:Maybe all of these free goodies could be put into the largely empty goody-bags that were either given to weekend passholders or stuck behind the store stall being peddled as FULLY LOADED for £20. I believe it's traditional for goody-bags to contain goodies. It make sense from a semantic standpoint, at least. Doesn't it? Let me just check that T-shirts and posters still qualify as "goodies"...Yes, yes they do. According to all.
I agree with this to extent, the problem being some of the Freebies that where given to the vultures (Tee Hee) where of limited supply and there wouldn't of been enough for everybody.

lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

Maniacal wrote:I'd like to apologise on the behalf of my friend for that, it was pissing me off as well.
That was you in front of me? If I'd known I'd have said "hello".
@lisybabe on Twitter