Repo The Genetic Opera

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Even though i've now seen this 3 times (once big screen, twice on dvd) i am still on the fence. Yeah, i enjoyed it and people who trashed paris hilton b4 seeing it, WHY? she basically played the 'character' is is in real life anyway? Pavi largo and luigi still crack me up. Camp as a row of tents!

It is a grower, to say it's straight up awful, to me personally means people took it too seriously. You can't go too deep into it, otherwise your just needling for the sake of it. I see why people DIDN'T like it. fair play. (oh that sounded so 'the streets'! :? )

But don't take it too seriously, its just a film?
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

I was really looking forward to seeing this movie and sort of knowing what to expect i was not dissapointed.
Didn't join in with the shouts and screams due to never having seen the film before i wanted it to unfold for me on it's own merit.
I was in fact reminded more of Phantom of the Paradise than Rocky Horror.
Peronally i loved the music and i have certanly never seen an opera movie before
It was great.
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I think the comments about the film 'growing on you' are spot on. I would need to see the film again before I could really decide if I really liked it or not.
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

Like others was put off by the director claiming cult status for the film by default, however I guess the stage musical pretty much has built up its own following so it's not totally unwarrented. His lament that most films are the same though was ridiculous. Firstly it's just not true that everything else is the same and Repo is bravely flying the flag on its own, and secondly just being different isn't really anything at all without also being any good.

The film itself grew on me as it went on. It was pretty jarring at first, and plot and performaces wise it is often a bit of a mess. I enjoyed Anthony Head a lot, though the two Roti brothers were awful and I was surprised by how competent Paris Hilton was. However, like Embodiement of Evil, the sheer enthusiasm with which it had been made was enough to keep me involved all the way through. I think ultimately the material got away from them, but given it was surely supposed to be massively over the top that's hard to say, although if it was intentionally that chaotically close to incoherance for large stretches that's its own mistake. Was surprised at how samey and conservative the music seemed though.
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

Loved it within the first 10 minutes and will be buying it today!!

I, for one, would have quite happily stood up and danced all the way through it!!

I really wasnt sure what to expect as most feedback I have heard has been negative, but this really ticked all my boxes :wink:

Impressed with the leads vocals and thought Sarah Brightman was awesome! Anthony Head was as amazing as ever - I knew he sang and was great to hear him giving this a bit of ompff!

The music did remind me of Rob Zombie - realised that when i read someone elses comment, praps thats why i got into it so quick?

My film of the day!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

My main problem was that they expecteded people to sing-along, but there were no sing-along or memorable tunes.
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

The Soapmaker wrote: It was like an over-long Evanescence video directed by Guy Maddin (on a really, really bad day). But with terrible singing.
Exactly !

It's a cold day in hell when you can legitimately say that the best things about a film were Sarah Brightman and Paris Hilton.

I was finding the film quite irritating, but then the first song by Anthony Head made me think, well actually that was ok. Cut to the embarrassingly awful Largo sons making Faye Dunaway's performance in Mommie Dearest seem positively restrained, and I hated it again.

Alexa Vega had one of those really annoying warbly/screechy broadway musical style voices, and at times the sound mix was so harsh it made the fillings in my teeth hurt.

I'm not a fan.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

This one I was most intrigued by. Due to hearing negative things about this film beforehand.

This was my least favourite film of the day. I very much like the gothic look. Something that Tim Burton could be proud of. Sarah Brightman was almost unrecongizable. She looked stunning. Was surprised to see Paris Hilton! Who of would of thought!

When you have Sarah Brightman, Anthony Head, and Paul Sorvino singing. Not jaring at all. Unlike the lead actress vocals.

Mmm not one I be watching again.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I'm with rawshark on this one... didn't expect to like it, didn't really like the songs, yet there's something about it that kept me watching... and I applaud the filmmakers for attempting to do something a little different from the norm. There's an audience out there - as was clear from the fans who turned up in costume - do fair play to 'em.
First things first, stay calm.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

soulmining wrote:I'm with rawshark on this one... didn't expect to like it, didn't really like the songs, yet there's something about it that kept me watching... and I applaud the filmmakers for attempting to do something a little different from the norm. There's an audience out there - as was clear from the fans who turned up in costume - do fair play to 'em.
See, this is the kind of response i thought most people would have.

Good one Phil.
Malachi
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Malachi »

There's definately something about Repo it certainly grew on me, though I can understand why people hate it. I bought it on dvd today and really look forward to seeing it again at the weekend.
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

what a load of rubbish, just a complete rip-off of rocky horror picture show. nothing new to see here
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I watched it last week. And loved it.

Bought the dvd on Monday.

Everyone who watched it thought it was cool, even my other half (who hates horror) was singing along to some songs.

Though the flip side of the deal is she watches a film of my choosing, I watch somethings he likes. And to be fair I can't really argue with that.

Martyrs on DVD is her next viewing pleasure.
ladyXzombina
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Repo The Genetic Opera

Post by ladyXzombina »

I love this!! from the first time i watched this i was pretty much hooked, i need to get it on blu ray!!
"Some people prefer the finer things in life, but i'm alright just hanging out with the ghost of vincent price"
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Re: Repo The Genetic Opera

Post by krispyg »

I must give this a rewatch at some point!
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"