Where are you sitting?

The movies of 2010 still live
knightyjr
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Where are you sitting?

Post by knightyjr »

i popped my frightfest cherry this weekend, and i have to say i wish i hadn't bothered. dont get me wrong, its a great festival and the organisers do a great job, and i enjoyed the few films i did see, but being here on my own was harder than i imagined. too many sounds and smells = sensory overload - standing in the foyer or outside the empire was painful. if i was with a friend i would have had a great time, but being by myself and being unable to talk to anyone made the weekend torture - like having a 5 day long panic attack. i had to go back to te hotel and missed out on some films i wanted to see, and i didn't turn up at all on monday. i only saw half the films i intended to.

i was so stressed that i withdrew into myself completely so i couldn't even talk to the empire staff, which meant no goodie bag, discovery screen tickets or food for the whole weekend.

not whinging about the festival itself, just my own shortcomings. having autism means i spend most of my time pretending to be normal and trying to convince myself that i belong, and this weekend was a painful reminder that im not.

apologies to the blokes who sat next to me over the weekend.

what a fucking waste

Hey mate I was on your right hand side and there's no need for apologies from yourself. Sorry you didn't enjoy it and apologies if I didn't help the situation by trying to convo with you when you were there. I think maybe a seat to the side like you found on Sat and sun would be best for next time and I really hope you come again and at least enjoyed the few films you saw
Follow me on Twitter for no news and daily swearing http://twitter.com/Knightyjr
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

Hi Outsider.
Sounds like you had a terrible time. I still think you were brave coming down and giving it a try.
I agree with all of the things you said... God, the wait between films was excruciating- "fuck it, McDonalds again." just to get away from all the small groups. I wish I'd seen more people on there own, I might have started a chat. The only real person I spoke to for 10 mins over the festival, was that guy with the ipad - and he probably spoke to everyone!

I can only guess there were a few other lonely people out there that didn't get a chance to gel with other people. Reading all the nice comments from forum users saying 'come and talk to them' etc.. is all very well, but putting it into practice...maybe come Frightfest 44! :)

Nevermind though Outsider, If tempted to come again next year, try to bring a mate (none of mine like horror movies) and preload your mobile with new games.
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Hey Outsider, I've sent you an e-mail via the forum - just letting you know in case your address isn't up-to-date or anything like that.
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
Outsider
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Outsider »

knightyjr wrote:

Hey mate I was on your right hand side and there's no need for apologies from yourself. Sorry you didn't enjoy it and apologies if I didn't help the situation by trying to convo with you when you were there. I think maybe a seat to the side like you found on Sat and sun would be best for next time and I really hope you come again and at least enjoyed the few films you saw
Thanks to everyone for the replies, particularly to world_of_skin for her email.

Don’t worry about trying to make conversation with me - its just good manners to try and talk to someone you’re going to sit next to for 5 days. I just didn’t want you to think I was being an ignorant prick by moving to the other side of the cinema. Other people around me seemed to get on quite easily with their neighbours which just made me frustrated at being unable to do the same.

When you struggle in social situations like I do its easy to assume you’re the only one, and everyone else finds it easy and is having a great time. Obviously that’s not the case, but that’s how you perceive things to be. it’s a bit of a relief to know I’m not the only one.

Don’t know if I’m going to any other Frightfest events in the future - still getting over the disappointment of the weekend. Can’t get rid of the feeling that I’m an outcast in any group of people, even self-confessed horror geeks.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

<3 Hug <3 for you Outsider.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011