Dream Home

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Dream Home

Post by jonbly »

Damn, so close. This one was bopping along nicely with the protaganist's crazy slowly blooming... and then we get stuck in an apartment with a bunch of moron gangstas. Sure, an establishing shot is fine... but jonbly doesn't need to know every detail of their lives when they're about to be cut to pieces. This sequence just killed the film's momentum.

Still,

8/10
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Dream Home

Post by Heiko »

The biggest flaw of this movie is... the get to know your maniac's background scenes!

I love HK movies! And I thought I'd get some over the top whackedness... which I did... only to have the momentum killed by the 'heroine' being shown having to deal with granpa, with money, bla...

more of the murder made easy going out of control would have saved the movie, but this way, well, not reaaly entertaining...
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

There was too much backstory, slotted in apparently at random, as flashback sequences. Some nasty gore effects made it bearable, though I was uncomfortable with the demise of the pregnant woman. The film also had neither the first nor last de-knobbing sequence of the weekend, and a bit of social comment about property prices.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
narcan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by narcan »

Awesomely gruesome. I couldn't help but think that the film was essentially a re-make of the 1st 15 minutes of The Toolbox Murders (the original not Tobe Hooper's 're-imagining'). Loved the blood ejaculation gag.
Read Narcan's horror, sci-fi, exploitation & dirty movie reviews at the Grindhouse Cinema Database:
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/User:Narcan
http://www.facebook.com/grindhousedatabase
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

This could have been the perfect late night movie if not for the drawn out flashbacks.
Yes, they set up the character, explained her motivations, served us a social commentary but less would have been more.
The one with the kids (Asshole!) was cute as hell and worked perfectly, the one with the protests and sign and snakes was good, too, some of them where just too lenghty.
Hilarious gore effects/ideas and the second kill of the festival while someone got fucked doggy style :)
If this got some more editing it would be a 9 this way it only gets
8/10.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

A rather enjoyable slice and dice film if spoilt by the flashbacks. Also noticed sliced willies is a running theme in some films.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

Sadly I got in the habit of leaving when the film that ended around 11pm finished. It wasn't until I got home and took a look at the programme trying to work out what time to come back the next day I saw I was missing this at that very moment and thought "shit, I meant to stay for that."
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

I did enjoy this movie, as has been pointed out it needed better editing and not sure that showing the time was all that important but on the whole I thought it was a good movie. Its great to see a decent horror movie coming out of HK and I hope nothing stops that in the future. An added plus for me was I didn't need the subtitles.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

I really enjoyed this one; gory slasher with a heart and social commentary to boot.

And based on a true story apparently too!
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Good slasher with some laughs and a very current theme. Enjoyed it.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Humorous and topical splatter fest set against the backdrop of the Hong kong housing market. Some inventive and gory deaths, with a twist in the tale. I found the female perspective on Hong Kong men amusing, although the film obviously wasn't very realistic in places and some of the effects were very false. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.