VIDEO NASTIES DOCUMENTARY / DISCUSSION

The movies of 2010 still live
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: VIDEO NASTIES DOCUMENTARY / DISCUSSION

Post by lupogirl »

markR wrote:Loved the doco and the q and a session afterward. But have to say that Tobe Hooper really needs to flesh out some of his responses! After his q and a on Friday and this session I seemed to get the sense he really wasn't up for much discussion.
Yep agree there!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I do believe i had Mr Streetrw sat behind me somewhere, after the documentary he said something along the lines of or maybe it was the guy next to him sharing the conversation about "Genre fans growing up these days don't really go through what we did when the video Nasty hysteria was happening.." and wholeheartedly concur.

While watching this documentary i felt pretty much greatful that i currently don't have to live with such barbaric censorship laws like the 'Older' genre fans grew up with. Excellent documentary, well presented from both sides of the argument (Regardless of horror infected canines) and the after talk was also good. I just wish the after panel discussion could of gone on for longer, I'm also suprised no one asked any rude/impolite questions towards the gentleman from the BBFC, was expecting a lynch mob.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
foster twelvetrees
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by foster twelvetrees »

Bravo!

This was so nearly my highpoint of the fest. (just pipped by THE LOVED ONES)
Martin was an instant hit with the audience that clearly felt great affection for the little man who stood up to be counted when so few others did. He deserved all the cheers and applause.

I agree with other posters, I wanted the discussion to go on much longer. There were so many questions to be asked and the subject was one close to everyone's hearts. I also thought that this was one of a couple of events this year that seemed to cement the who;e FrightFest family vibe. The other was the quiz and short film showcase. Both of these events led to a lot of discussion and debate over and above the 'what did you think of that?' questions.

Just a suggestion but maybe the guys could look at doing a panel type event along similar lines next year and have it on the Friday or Saturday morning. I certainly spoke to more FFers after the Nasties thing that at any other point in the fest. Great for breaking the ice... just a thought.

But congrats to all the guys involved in the documentary. Very best of luck with it, I'm off to pre order from Amazon.
"Mister Twelvetrees, I beseach you..."
"You beseach yerself mate, I'm off!"
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

Agree with whats been said about the discussion being too short. It only just got going when they had to finish off and I didn't get to ask my question. I wanted to ask the man from the BBFC whether he would agree that the BBFC was now obsolete considering that anyone of almost any age can access almost any material available on the internet
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

He would have said "no"

Would you want schoolkids walking into your viewing of I Spit On Your Grave?

Or did you mean home viewing only?
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Would you want schoolkids walking into your viewing of I Spit On Your Grave?
I wouldn't want schoolkids coming into my viewing of the latest Pixar film!

Rate all cinema releases 18. Keep the buggers out! :wink:
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Made me want to go back and rewatch a load of the oringinal video nasties. Good documentary, good - if rather short panel discussion afterwards
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Excellent doc looking at the era of censorship under the Thatcher regime, an age that still resonates today. The follies and absurdities of the censorship front are explored, as well as how the industry didn't help itself. There is a reasonable balance of viewpoints presented. I also liked the allusions to current "problem" films and the irony of the remakes that are curently being released. Agree that the panel segment seemed cut short a little bit(!), although I did have to feel sorry for Tobe Hooper who seemed a little overwhelmed by it all. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Thank you for your recent Play.com order for Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide (3 Discs)

We have recently been informed by the manufacturer of this product that the release date has been changed to 01-Nov-2010.
Well that's my Halloween plans changed.

:-(

(Good job I have reserves)

;-)
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
ScreamingMimi
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ScreamingMimi »

Just to let you all know that the first 5,000 limited edition sold out in the first week. If you still don;t have a copy you should still be able to find the limited edition in stock at Play and HMV.

However, all new store orders will now be the standard edition (i.e, no postcards and no individual numbering on the back).

-> Linky
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

'Horrific' flat of Bradford killer Stephen Griffiths - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-br ... e-11985080
"You walked in and on the left-hand side there was just a huge bookcase and it was just full of horror books on like the Moors murderers and Jack the Ripper, the Yorkshire Ripper," she said.

"But not just five or six books, literally hundreds of books, and he always had lots of videos... really horrific video nasties."
Shelves carrying hundreds of horror films
She said: "He had a thing about horror films. But he'd think they were funny, the really horrible slasher horror films.

"And when somebody got murdered he'd just like laugh his head off and he'd go: 'Oh great, look at that.'
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I don't think we will see the start of another moral panic over this case I think Frankie Boyle has already knocked it off the hot topic list. One of the only good things about Tramadol Nights
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Oh, I don't think so either - this is all purely for entertainment purposes now :)

Saw another "article" having a go at horror/Nasties the other week: this time it was about the landline who was arrested in the Jo Yeates case. Apparently he 'traumatised' and 'scarred' (yes, they really did use those words...) the 14-year-old boys he taught at some school or other, simply by screening horror films at a weekend film club (sounds dodgy for an entirely different reason, haha!)... There was no story (or point) to speak of, just a load of padded out nonsense.

And Tramadol Nights is (very unfortunately) bloody awful! It just doesn't work. Not heard him talking about Nasties though?
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Ophs, yes, landline... that's clearly what I meant...! Not only can they be arrested but they can also potentially commit acts of murder...