The Innkeepers

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Innkeepers

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - this one really got under jonbly's skin for a full-on creep-out. Marvelous. Everything was really well judged, particularly the lead performance. Docked one point for not fleshing the background out a bit more, which could have really brought the whole thing together.
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: The Innkeepers

Post by djwoody »

Another winner from Mr. West. Had me gripped from the first frame and the two leads were amazing.
Biggest shock of the weekend though was seeing Kelly McGillis!! Was that really the same women from Top Gun or her mother????
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

I really enjoyed this. I know some found it a little slow but I like the time spent on the characters, the set up etc. I just thought it was adorable.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I really do love Ti Wests films and this was just excellent, it had some great character building and I'm even willing to let go of the fact that the "Ghost" looked like something out of Goosebumps. (Not that there's anything wrong with Goosebumps!)

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It's strange, although I loved Ti West's previous films this one didn't quite work for me.

The first half of the film felt a little "lightweight" to me - even when the tension was building I never felt like anything scary was going to happen.

I think I know the reason for this.... the lead actress looked so much like Martha Plimpton, I couldn't escape the thought that I was watching a horror version of The Goonies (combined with The Shining, obviously)....

I need to see it again with my head in the right place. :|
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

The Soapmaker wrote:It's strange, although I loved Ti West's previous films this one didn't quite work for me.
The first half of the film felt a little "lightweight" to me - even when the tension was building I never felt like anything scary was going to happen.
This is exactly why I liked it. House of the Devil must be one of the slowest movies I've ever watched and the payoff was just not there. The Innkeepers was moving at a faster rate while keeping that balance between fun/comedy/suspense/action. When there are so many movies that are ultra violent, loud as fuck and with a soundtrack that is splitting my head in too it is good to see, that the classic Horror/Suspense is still working. The final 10minutes could need a rewrite/recut and the middle part is moving quite slowly but overall I was pleasently surprised.
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

What a perfectly crafted chiller this was! My second favourite film of the festival.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I seem to struggle with Ti West films - slightly better than House of the Devil, but not much. Overall just found it too slow to engage my interest.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Another highlight for me.

Loved the hotel it was set in. Well creaky and creepy. Really atmospheric.

Those long lingering scenes, just building the tension. Knowing something was going to happen but not sure when. Loved it!

Certainly made me jump!

Really good characters and you feel for them. Liked the ending and was half expecing the photo to show her in it!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

One of my favourites.

I thought it was beautifully acted by the leads, they dragged me right into their story and kept me there to the end.

Seems to me from watching this and House of the Devil that Ti West is really good at bringing likeable and believable female characters to the screen, without objectifying them.

I also loved the pace and tone of the film...that lovely slow burn tension building up. And the look of it too.

Superb, creepy, clever and genuinely scary.
elly_0
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by elly_0 »

I found the Innkeepers rather boring; it didn't work for me at all. The only creepy moment in the whole film for me was the old man naked!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A haunted house tale from Ti West with spells of sustained suspense and plenty of jumps. Still prefer 'House of the Devil' though. I felt there was a good balance of humour and horror, while the film had heart and characters I'd cared about. Yet I felt a little underwhelmed at the end as if the best bit was still to come. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Ti West really knows how to scare his audience. A superior Ghost Story that really chills, with the added bonus of some excellent characters in the two ghost hunters, who bring some great warmth and humour to the piece.

This deserves to be as fondly remembered with The Shining, The Changeling, The Haunting (robert wise version obviously) and the stage play The Woman In Black.

The acting of the two leads really convinced.

Nice that it didnt have a twist ending (I wrongly suspected the Kelly McGillis character was going to be a Ghost) and let the ghosts have some ambiguity which all good ghost stories should have.

Loved this movie.
leathercamp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by leathercamp »

This really drew me in and I was terrified during the last act. I liked the slow build up and fell in love with the lead actress, but agree it could have done with a bit more terror earlier on... perhaps too slow a build up. But the ending shat me up proper.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

leathercamp wrote: the ending shat me up proper.
A quote for the poster there !

:wink:
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest