Re: The Woman

Post by elly_0 »

By far my favourite movie this year, amazingly acted and disturbing to watch
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Didn't understand why it was so contraversial... I found The Girl Next Door more shocking and the Hammer Scene from SEED sickening in previous years, in fact both were 2007.

:)

Still loved it though but I think the hype of the distressing nature of the finale was a little too full on thanks to sundance guy, so it didn't deliver in that respect.
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
iateabee
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iateabee »

I think the film had its problems (the two scenes towards the end, where the wife delivers her speech in the kitchen, followed by the arrival of the teacher, didn't work for me at all) but Pollyanna Mcintosh's performance was powerful and completely believable.

* SPOILERS*

I particularly enjoyed how, at the end of the story, the woman remains true to her animalistic, cannibalistic character, instead of just being a tool of retribution (i.e. her eating the wife's face off shocked me at first—and seemed kind of unfair—but I then realised that's who the woman is. Plus, the wife is hardly free from blame).
Last edited by iateabee on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

iateabee wrote: Plus, the wife is hardly free from blame).

SPOILERS:

Yes, the wife had the chance early on in the film to attack the husband and free The Woman - the audience is left to wonder whether she will or not - but ultimately she bottles it. I think this is why she ended up losing her face!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

In respect of the killing of the teacher.... who's to say he hasn't done similar things before? But yes, this was the one flaw in the film. I thought the character of the father and the boy were very well rounded - I can see sociopaths acting like that. Also I shall be purchasing the soundtrack when they release it (a single is available for download if you're in to that sort of thing - I'll wait;)).
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

really liked this great film :D
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

I thought The Woman was pretty good, well acted, well paced and the soundtrack was especially effective, but I wasn't as blown away by it as so many other people on here. There was a lot of hype around the film being the closest thing to this years ASF, and I didn't really think it was anywhere near that disturbing or difficult to watch.
I'm not a huge Ketchum fan, and The Woman was better than some other adaptations, but it wasn't as good as Red or The Lost as far as I was concerned.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Eddie Krueger wrote:
iateabee wrote: Plus, the wife is hardly free from blame).

SPOILERS:

Yes, the wife had the chance early on in the film to attack the husband and free The Woman - the audience is left to wonder whether she will or not - but ultimately she bottles it. I think this is why she ended up losing her face!
The thing is there were two prisoners in the film, prisoners in different ways but one was in chains and the other was the wife, afraid to leave for fear of what would happen to her and her daughters if she tried and we saw what happens when she speaks out and she's seen what happens when one of her daughters just isn't civil enough or speaks out against the men in the family. :D

The wife was just as tortured as the woman but her torture has lasted years and is still happening.... RAAAAAAAAAAAR!!! or something deep like that.
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I feel almost alone in not enjoying this at all. It just seemed like an attempt to get as many controversial issues as possible into a 90 minute (or whatever) film. Didn't find it shocking in the slightest and for the most part found it a little dull. It was beautifully shot, Pollyana McIntosh was superb as was Sean Bridgers, but overall it didn't deliver on any level for me. :(

I'm not a fan of rape/revenge films anyway and this didn't really break any new ground except for the introduction of The Woman as one of the persecuted subjects. And maybe the son as trainee psycho.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I really enjoyed this movie - I went out of my way to find a copy of May as I had never seen it because of this film, and May was great too!

But then I also liked Offspring which I notice quite a few on here didn't like.

How awesome is Pollyanna? I love a kick ass woman, and she really convinces in the role. She really reminds me of Milla Jovovich. Really gorgeous. And when I went up front for a photo / autograph she was really nice to me she said 'Oooo a lady!' and did some sort of woman power gesture. Hehe. I mumbled something in response as I usually do whenever I get near anyone famous who I respect. Isn't it wierd? Why do people mumble and sweat and blush and shake like that whenever they meet someone with talent? I used to do it at work when I was younger with management/professionals but I am over that now, I still do it with talent though.

The question around the mother is a funny one, I can kind of see both sides. She was living in total fear - can you imagine the eggshells you would be treading on 24 hours a day married to that psychopathic prick! So I feel for her in that sense - but then, she so should have called the cops and just left the house and gone far far away - somewhere random till the cops raided the house and locked him up!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Satans Puppy wrote:
The thing is there were two prisoners in the film,
Technically, there were THREE. You can't deny the daughter was a prisoner aswell. One because of her father + in some respects her brother, and two- her mother.

Not only did her mother have the chance to let 'the woman' go, but she had the chance to get her daughters out along time ago.

But the fear is what stopped her.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Another one I caught at Grimmfest.

My two compatriots that were with me at FF this year raved about this and put it at the top of their lists, I was in the Discovery Screen watching 'The Devil's Business'.

I have to say the notion I had of what this film was, both based on reading before it was shown at FF and later based on what my mates said was still somewhat further from the truth having now watched it.

I enjoyed the film, I can see why some people love it so much, but at the same time, maybe because of the time inbetween hearing about it and watching it, it seemed a bit of a let down.

I did think it was well acted though - but the music pissed me off quite a lot and did spoil it.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Prime Video, Arrow and Plex
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey