Sinister

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Sinister

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - effective jump-scare horror. In hindsight, though, the rules by which Mr Boogie plays are kinda artificial.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Sinister

Post by AdeBrown »

Yeah, fancy making things up :-)

Genuinely the first sustained period of goosebumps for me (a couple of the shorts managed a few seconds).
Ethan Hawke should have words with Johnny Depp and all the other mainstream actors who have tried to be spooked out. For a while I believed we were getting a Jack Torrance (from the book, not the Jack Nicholson Show) tale of writer turned mad.
The manner in which that theory was dispelled was quite effective for me.
Spooky children rarely work for me in US films, but these ones did.
And yes, the comedy relief was beautifully positioned.

As we often have to rewrite endings or suggest follow ups in these threads, I'd like to take that Q&A sequel discussion and suggest Wes Craven's New Scream, in which an annoyed horror film fan kills a series of directors to stop them making sequels.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Absolutely brilliant, this is genuinely the only film I've ever seen at Fright Fest that was genuinely SCARY, made my flesh creep. Great performances by Ethan Hawke and his wife in this, and for once a mainstream film that doesn't go for the nice happy ending.
Last edited by Wolfshade on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalobill
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Buffalobill »

Loved it. Creepy and suspensful as hell. Bagul was genuinely scary looking, although I didnt care for the ghost kids much. And finally, an interesting Q&A session, the writer was a top bloke.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Definitely beat The Possession in the battle of the Hollywood evil spirit movies!
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Yeah. Much better than "The Possession".
Loved the scene with "Mr Boogie" turning towards Hawke on his laptop. Have to turn mine off all the time now!!!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

** Spoilers **

Plenty of chills, creepiness and jump scares in this effective tale of a writer obsessed with a missing girl after the rest of her family have been murdered. The mix of serial killing and the supernatural worked well and one of the scariest efforts I have seen all year. Certainly a cut above The Possession. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I was waiting for a supernatural film to give me the creeps and make me jump. This film delivered. Had atmosphere and also the creepy imagery of the hanging family. Superb film!!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

Agree with all the comments. Especially the part about Bagul being cool looking while the kids they could have shown less of.

Stands nicely with Indsideous and Woman in Black for creepy haunted house modern day horrors.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I thought it was interesting to compare Sinister with The Possession, two very "mainstream" horror movies dealing with extremely familiar subject matter.

I wasn't expecting much, but Sinister got everything right. It was obvious where the story was going, but it was well structured and well paced, with (hurrah!) a consistent "mythology", internal logic or whatever you want to call it. Good performances, humour which actually worked and didn't seem out of place, well-timed scares.

The Possession, on the other hand, was competently-made but utterly predictable, seen-it-all-before, tedious dross.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Sinister was one of my favourites of the fest this year: genuinely scary and creepy and must-look-away-but-can't-look-away in the best tradition that we simply don't see enough of in horror movies these days. Insidious was probably the last.

http://streetrw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/sinister.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Netflix, Sky and Now.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey