Mindhack

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Mindhack

Post by valido »

I thought I should start this one as there were literally eight people at my screening - what did everyone else know that we didn't???
Anyway: imagine a light version of Mr. Robot that maintains the same Matrix/Fight Club feel but more cyberpunk and teen friendly.
Sometimes it makes Besson's Lucy look like a proper, peer reviewed medical essay, but it's fun, constantly engaging and with some very nice visual touches for a low budget movie.
Today I'm too old and cynical, but I feel like the 15 years old me would have gone crazy for this.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Mindhack

Post by MalJutley »

Kind of agree with the above....I sat down expecting some sort of mind struggle movie etc but it quickly became some teenage hack thing. I actually walked out to be honest and that was my first walk out at frightfest (I didn't watch shockwave and I really wanted to see where Tulpa went!)
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

It wasn't that bad, unless it was just the "I'm not interested in where this is clearly going" kind of walkout.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

valido wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:03 am It wasn't that bad, unless it was just the "I'm not interested in where this is clearly going" kind of walkout.
It pretty much was that sort of walkout. I didn't like some of the dialogue too and when it moved from him dealing with his stuff to trying to hack the mind with some tech as part of some teenage hackathon I wasn't impressed. I was hungry too!
Bedelia
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Bedelia »

Today I'm too old and cynical, but I feel like the 15 years old me would have gone crazy for this.
I wanted to post the same thing. The 15 year old me who loved Pi, Space Odyssey, Zeling, Moulin Rouge, Mulholland Drive simply because they were different and weird would have loved this. But since then I have seen so much of this: Matrix, Inception, Fight Club, Mr Robot, Sense8 (the sex that your telepathic twin gets to feel).
I really wanted to like this because it was clearly very ambitious and for the first hour I did. The look was unique and dilemma genuinely interesting. But it ended up being overdirected, overwritten and something that needed a good producer to calm the director down.

In the narrative chaos the movie lost what was the central question- you get the technology to fix society but that would mean robbing humanity of it's free will, would you go through with the plan?