It (2017 Remake)

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

It (2017 Remake)

Post by WraithApe »

Biggest disappointment of the year so far for me. I'd been led to expect something really out there with this adaptation of Stephen King's novel, but what we actually get is a thoroughly mainstream horror movie. It's technically competent, and that's about the best thing I can say about it. The realization of Pennywise (in clown form) is quite effective, especially in his opening scene where he is a sinister presence in an unexpected place.

The biggest problem with the film though, is it's just not very scary. Maybe I've just seen so many horror films at this point that I'm immune to their devices, but all the standard horror tropes are out in force (the scary trip to the basement, the creepy old house etc.) and the score contains all the typical cues leading up to a jump scare. Tonally, the film is all over the place; points in the plot which should be really frightening always seem to be sabotaged by a comedic moment that totally alleviates any fear. It's kind of like an R-rated version of The Goonies. There's too much CG as well, which invariably takes me out of the moment as my subconscious mutters darkly 'that's CG right there'.

Maybe if I were 20 years younger (or more) and hadn't seen hundreds of other, better, horror films, this one would do the trick but as it is... no. It needs to be far, far weirder than it is, tonally more coherent and about half an hour shorter. 5/10
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: It (2017 Remake)

Post by TheDukeAbides »

WraithApe wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 am It's kind of like an R-rated version of The Goonies.
Ha. That should be put on the posters.

Agree with this review completely, though I will add that the kids in this were all very good and I didn't find any of the irritating but the film was not scary in the slightest, no tension, no real creepiness but it didn't seem to drag though, so that was OK.

I did like the slide projector scene though, that was very good.

It seems the films success has become its hype - best horror film in years - not by a long shot and given how the "adult" section of the original mini-series was handled I don't hold much hope for Chapter 2 of It being any other great revelation of horror, plus I would expect a Tim Curry cameo, because that is all Hollywood have left these days.
Donut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Donut »

Have to agree. Although a couple of the kids did annoy me intensely.
MattP
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MattP »

I've seen it twice. Slight underwhelmed the first time. Loved it the second. I think people going in expecting a straight up horror movie are setting themselves up for dissapointment. It should be thought of as a coming of age adventure with horror elements. I liked the characters, I liked the villain, the horror scenes didnt scare me but i admired them. I enjoyed it a lot