Terrified

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Terrified

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - Argentinian take on The Grudge. Hopefully any sequels will avoid the same trap, though... and hopefully we will see a continuation (and expansion / exploration of this mythos). Subs could use some polishing.
Paul1968
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Terrified

Post by Paul1968 »

I kind of thought this didn't really go anywhere. It started off great but then... nothing. It didn't make much sense either by the end.
HannahNoir
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by HannahNoir »

3/5

I didn’t mind this one but something about it wasn’t quite right. Didn’t go anywhere? Didn’t really explain what the point of what was going on was? Hmmm....not sure.

Like the bit where the woman with the bent back neck comes running out though.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jon H »

Lots of effective moments here, but that doesn't make a film and for me, this ended up being a mess. It's always a risk to keep changing which character is the focus of the narrative and there wasn't enough here, the Director just wasn't adept enough to pull it off. There ended up being a lack of investment is any of them. A few good jump scares, a number of arresting set pieces, but as a film it didn't come together. However, I know lots of people did rate it so If I'm being overly harsh - let me know why !
looneygooner
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by looneygooner »

It reminded me of Insidious in so many ways, and a hint of Del Toro but it was a good film, not as good as Luciferina, but the flux of Argentina films coming out should be embraced, and I look forward to the forthcoming films
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

My favourite of Frightfest. Super idea and subtly delivered.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Not as scary as hyped, but does have some good scenes of tension, creepiness and jump scares. It felt a bit like a better episode of the early The X-Files seasons at times and it was good to see a mythology being established even if it could be developed further. A very decent effort. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

8/10 - Also one of my top picks of the festival. There was something different and attractive about the characters and the plot which kept me engaged throughout. And, I enjoyed it even more home at night, because as predicted by the director in the intro, "I scared!!", thinking of that little boy having his breakfast
Paxton
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Paxton »

I agree with earlier post, its a darker, scarier X Files. Not as good as hyped, lets face it, it was never going to be, but worth watching definitely
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

6/10. After a day of damp squibs and non-horror, it was gratifying to watch an old school shocker that goes for chills and largely succeeds in its mission. The story is underdeveloped and doesn't quite hang together like it should, but it makes up for it with a sustained atmosphere of dread, some well-executed jump scares and really creepy imagery - the dead boy at the kitchen table was very uncanny. It's a shame the writing doesn't match director Demián Rugna's commitment to frightening his audience - if it did, this would be a real gem rather than just a semi-decent spook show.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I dozed through bits of this but this was not due to the film itself. The bits I did see were good and as has been said before, it is nice to see an old fashioned chiller.

I thought the monsters were well realised and taking the film as a single entity I thought it mostly worked well.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I think I nodded off briefly too since I have no idea what happened to the neighbour man who was on the phone a lot at the start - I found it disjointed and a little disappointing in the lack of screen time for the scary thing on the poster to do scary stuff but that's my fault for not reading anything about it first.

I still liked it even though it wasn't that terrifying - I thought the story with the little boy was very well done, it was nicely made and I liked the ending. Flawed but still one of the better films I saw on the main screen.