DARK SCREEN?

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

DARK SCREEN?

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Anyone else finding the projection in the main screen "underlit"?

Like the brightness setting is too low?

In some scenes it's hard to tell what is going on :(
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: DARK SCREEN?

Post by Whiptail »

I did find the screen a little dark. It is a horror film festival though, so most of the films will be dark (which benifited films such as Heretiks, as it drove home the darkness of the convent, but wasnt a great benefit to the black and white segment in Feild Guide to Evil) but was a little too dark in places.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Having only projected on "normal" screens with old film projectors, it is possible this dark screen phenomena may be linked to the "not an imax experience" warning.
cineBAKA
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by cineBAKA »

The only film I really found issue with was Boar. The blacks were crushing and it was hard to make out what was happening at times.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

cineBAKA wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:43 pm The only film I really found issue with was Boar. The blacks were crushing and it was hard to make out what was happening at times.
Probably for the best...
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

TheDukeAbides wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm Having only projected on "normal" screens with old film projectors, it is possible this dark screen phenomena may be linked to the "not an imax experience" warning.
Well, it would be a pity if we have to suffer an inferior picture due it being an Imax screen - however I didn't have this issue last year. Seemed to me turning up the brightness just a tad would have made a world of difference - and I fully expected it to happen over the weekend - but I guess directors don't bother seeing how their movies are projected? Whisked off to the other screen, I guess.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Given the cluster before The Field Guide to Evil (and I'm also told the one after it) it is possible there was an equipment issue.

Though as I've said in another thread, I'm unaware of modern digital projection equipment and while I don't recall last year having brightness as an issue, this year doesn't really register either.

It is possible some of the films were just made on inferior equipment or actually made to be (too) dark and no amount of tinkering in the projection booth will improve the visuals.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I do like the idea that some people are visiting this thread thinking...

"Dark Screen? - I don't remember seeing that in the programme, was it a short?"