The Field Guide to Evil

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Field Guide to Evil

Post by jonbly »

1/10 - Melonheads raised a chuckle, but everything else here was turgid and awful. If, in future years, you are offered a free DVD of this, slap your 'benefactor' soundly and cry, "Be off with you, charlatan!"
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: The Field Guide to Evil

Post by MrsE »

I was glad this was a portmanteau film as that meant none of them lasted too long. That being said I did like the Turkish djinn story. I have no idea what was going on in the first one which appeared to offer equal amounts of sex and laundry but with no discernible plot.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

5/10

Pretty weak overall, although I actually enjoyed the Hungarian story (last one) very much.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I was enjoying the pre-title sequence, but then it turned out that the projector wasn't working.

I did think the Trud was quite scary when it briefly appeared but I had no idea what was going on and I'm pretty sure I slept through the middle part. I like an anthology on the last day when I'm getting tired, so this was a disappointment.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

what a waste of time this was
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

It was bad. I even said that it was worse that Psychopaths when I left the cinema, which I shouldnt have done. Nothing is as bad as Psychopaths.

Having thought about it more, I can see a slight charm in it that I was too bored to notice as first. I liked the book animations....

The Sleep Paralysis one - the monster was good (a bit like the Lampray Lady from Cabin in the woods), It was well acted but had no ending, as least any that made sense to me. Beautiful settings
The Goat/Baby stealing demon one - Was interesting and had a good plot
The Diseased Rat Demon one - My favorite one. Main hero was cute, had a good ending, great setting and characters and I have a morbid fasination with disease anyway.
The Melonheads one - Much more of a conventional story telling, with likable characters, but the actual effects for the Melonheads (thought to be Gray alien/human hybrids) was so comical when they werent supposed to be.
The Goblin one - Was alright I suppose, but the effects for the goblin was rather comical (although accurate for the original folklore) and his occasional little yelpings didnt help
The Black and White one - Was attempting to be a Lovecraftian story, but lacked the horror
The shoemaker one - I think a connoisseur of the silent movie genre would have enjoyed this better than I did, and the underwater bit was a bit too surreal for me (I dislike surrealism), but was the second penis id seen that weekend so gets extra points for that.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

3/10. Dreary anthology of world folklore that outstays its welcome by about half an hour and at least two segments.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

When Alan warns beforehand that the credits are 20 minutes long, it doesn't exactly set up for a thrill ride.

As individual stories I liked them but for some reason, along with the malfunction at the start eating into free time, I was narked by the anthology set up as I seemed to just hope that each story was the last one which then made me dislike each following story.

Upon reflection I think I was a bit to harsh on it on first viewing but it isn't something I'd recommend or watch again.