The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot

Post by jonbly »

?/10 - I don't know what to do with this. I don't know what's in the box, either... though a pistol would seem the obvious bet.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot

Post by The Aylmer »

I'm assuming it was the engagement ring he never got to give her? I really liked the film. Got an 8/10 here.
Paxton
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Paxton »

None of the flashback sequences worked. There was too little shown to support the characters' 'mythical' reputation, basically he took his dog for a walk and brass-necked his way into Hitler's HQ, hardly makes him a super soldier/intellectual heavyweight/top spy. Likewise, the romance didn't hell because he learned too little about the girl and what happened to her, the whole subplot wasn't poignant enough.

And if he was so smart, how come he didn't check Bigfoot for a pulse before building a funeral pyre?
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Quite well done, and I understand the gentle, slow pace because it was ultimately the tale of a sad, regretful, lonely old man, not an action hero.

But it needed a bit more incident. Not wall-to-wall action, just hints that he'd done something between the 1940s and the 1980s.

I did wonder if it was all in his imagination - why did he have a painting on his wall of the mountain and forest where he found the Bigfoot? And there seemed to be very little reaction from the townsfolk when it turned out he wasn't actually dead. Maybe I misunderstood the timeframe.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

The Soapmaker wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm why did he have a painting on his wall of the mountain and forest where he found the Bigfoot?
Yes. That was odd.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

3/10. The more I think about this film, the more it annoys me. The title looks like it's gunning for classic B movie territory, with a lot of trashy fun to be had along the way, but what you actually get is a cloyingly sentimental story of love, loss and regret with a barely a passing nod to those exploitation staples. Basically, neither Hitler nor Bigfoot needed to be in this movie (spoiler: they barely are) and it feels distinctly like a cynical ploy to slip this schmaltzy nonsense under the radar of genre fans everywhere. The eminently watchable Sam Elliott is the only thing holding this unwieldy, misguided behemoth together at all, and even he can't do anything about the cliched sentimentality of the script which hides behind that zany title.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I liked the film but it did strike me as very much like the final scene in No Country For Old Men.

Didn't really go anywhere or do much but ponder life and mythos in a very Coen way. My favourite part was the dinner table scene with Elliott, Livingstone & Manji, I would have been quite happy if that had been the whole film and flashback was told from there.
Spoiler:
I like the idea that Operation Valkyrie was actually successful but in killing imposter Hitler No.2 and the "real" story of Hitler topping himself in his bunker as the Russians closed in was just imposter Hitler No.4, a coward and a womaniser, but a coward first.
As for the MacGuffin that was the wooden box, I like to think it was a lot of Dick Tracey comics.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

There is a lot to like about this movie: Sam Elliott is fantastic in it, giving possibly the best performance I saw at the festival, and Aidan Turner is good too though his screen time turned out to be surprisingly limited. The score is also very good as well. I'm pleased the composer was there to present the film, because he gave an interesting talk about imitating different styles of score for the different eras of the film.

However, in the end I didn't connect with the film at all. I like what it's trying to do by creating a mythic character who symbolises the idealism and power of the USA and then exploring his cynicism and melancholy, but the execution was strange. Before the festival, anybody who'd seen this and was recommending it always began with the pre-emptive defence "it's a character piece," but what they mean by that is "it's a bit boring." I would have liked there to be a much higher ratio of the absurd craziness to the thoughtful reflective moments. As it is, the scenes where Hitler and Bigfoot are killed, which should be as central to the movie as the emotional parts, feel muted and underwhelming, as though the movie is embarrassed about them.

I'd rank it below average for the films I saw at the festival.
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

I've got a podcast interview with Joe Kraemer who wrote the score for this film and I plan to speak to the director Rob Krzyzowski too
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

I interviewed Joe Kraemer for my podcast about this film... He wrote the score for it... https://leytonrocks.wordpress.com/2018/ ... e-bigfoot/
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot fans... I just made my podcast interview with writer/director Bob Krzykowski available ... John Sayle podcast discussing Exec Producing this film is out in October... https://leytonrocks.wordpress.com/categ ... -coverage/
hitor87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hitor87 »

I think 7/10. Oh, and I'm checking out the interview just no, Leyton. Thanks.
hitor87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hitor87 »

I think 7/10. Oh, and I'm checking out the interview just no, Leyton. Thanks.