Cut Off

jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Cut Off

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Complex German thriller. Not one to watch without your full attention...

Needs an epilepsy warning for strobes.
novotny
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Cut Off

Post by novotny »

Went on too long. Couldn't work out why the pathologist was involved in the convoluted plot in the first place.
In general, though, a vigorous movie. And the male and female leads were strong.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

An enjoyable Euro mystery thriller that is implausible in places, but is very slickly made with a "ticking clock" device deployed to ensure that it unfolds at a good pace. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

Terrific unless you stopped to work it out. Very entertaining
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Confusing timeline, needs 100% attention 100% of the time to keep up with the plot. Solid, though. 3/5
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Really enjoyed this one. Good tension, likeable protagonists and a particularly grisly autopsy by proxy. What's not to like!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Alvart keeps the film tight even with all the twists and revelations, so that even with everything going on my attention was held and I enjoyed the thrills. All the action going on in the Heligoland morgue worked well and was tense throughout, the scenes between Paul and Ingolf were less interesting, especially as the revelation about Ingolf's motivations for suspiciously hanging around was so underwhelming and irrelevant to the plot. I think the film would have been better if Ingolf hadn't been in it and Paul had been trying to make it to Heligoland solo. Towards the end the film became too silly and settled for a typical thriller ending, but this is worth a look for Nordic Noir fans.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Nothing particularly original from things I'd expect to see on BBC4 Scandi-dramas or whatever other buzzwords are used (Nordic Noir sounds far too high brow).

Well acted, especially liked the villain. Nice touches of dark humour but couldn't warm to the lead actor and felt a lot of it was contrived.

Felt too long but didn't out stay its welcome, I didn't find it either thrilling or gripping.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It works while you're watching it, but the plot relies on so many unlikely coincidences and people being in the right place at exactly the right time... and I'm not sure various characters' motivations and actions make much sense.
Certainly not bad or boring but I felt like I was having the wool pulled over my eyes a bit too much.