Terrifier 2

Everything you need to know about the Frightfest 2022 FrightFest events
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Terrifier 2

Post by Alex J »

A fun slasher romp that flies by despite its lengthy running time. Art the Clown continues to be entertaining and witty, whilst this sequel introduces a little more fantasy into the lore.
Spoiler:
Lauren LaVera
does a great job in the lead female role, while the ante really has been upped in the gore stakes this time around.

8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Terrifier 2

Post by Whiptail »

A very good film, and a great continuation built on the foundation of All Hallows and the first film. All the characters were great and I loved the little fantasy bits, even though I know some people didnt like it for that.

I saw it as the forces of good balancing the playing field. I saw it as Art starting out as a normal human in Terrifier 1, doing enough sinning that the forces of evil took notice of him. They brought him back and gave him the Pale Girl as a kind of familiar so that he could do more evil and 'earn his horns', becoming more powerful magic wise. The forces of good needed to step in and take him out.

Theory crafting out of the way, I found this film a little TOO gory just for gore sake. I think it would have been better if some of the violence was implied, rather than showing you every single cut and splurt. Also, most of the kills were just Art beating the mash potato out of people so the kills werent all that inventive.

The acting was great, and I really felt for the mum who was just having a really bad time all the way through.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Terrifier 2

Post by The Soapmaker »

Whiptail wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:37 pm ....I found this film a little TOO gory just for gore sake. I think it would have been better if some of the violence was implied, rather than showing you every single cut and splurt.
I agree, but then I've spent decades watching crazy gory horror films and loving it (maybe a little less as I get older), so I feel hypocritical saying this one's too gory! Perhaps the balance between the gore scenes and the rest of the film isn't quite right... they'll certainly stop the film from finding a wider audience.

I loved the first Terrifier film, went back and watched All Hallows' Eve and loved that too. When I saw Terrifier 2 was 140 minutes long I thought oh no, here's where it goes off the rails... but Damien Leone has progressed from inspired, crazy gorehound to a really skilled filmmaker. Of course there's nothing ground-breaking about the plot, but it's still a good one by slasher-movie standards, with strong characters, good performances... it kept me gripped for the whole of that running time.

Very high on my list of favourites for the festival (and there were lots of good films this year).