Another Evil

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Another Evil

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Starts off as an exorcism slacker comedy, the sort of thing that if it had been a Hollywood production would have starred Seth Rogen. It's got a reasonable number of chuckles as the a pair of goofs wander around trying to catch ghosts, and starts to build an interesting world where people accept that ghosts deinitively exist, but treat them as a nuisance like a pest infestation. Halfway to two-thirds of the way through, the movie decides to switch it tone and direction, removing most of the comedy and building a threat instead. It's this part of the movie that seems to undermine both the humour and the concept
Spoiler:
the ghost hunter is now portrayed as crazy and delusional. The ghost trapping that seemed to be working earlier now seems not to have worked after all.
emohawk
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Another Evil

Post by emohawk »

So far, still my favourite film of the festival. I didn't feel the tone switch was a detriment to the plot. It felt more like a logical conclusion to me. Really enjoyed it!
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

emohawk wrote:So far, still my favourite film of the festival. I didn't feel the tone switch was a detriment to the plot. It felt more like a logical conclusion to me. Really enjoyed it!
Agreed. I think it did the Creep thing of slowly revealing one character's insanity (though not quite as well as that one did). The tonal switch up is crucial to that and to me at least, felt completely natural. One of my favourite films of FF this year. Like Creep, and They Look Like People from last year, I thought it was an excellent example of how to make a smart film with modest resources.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Shudder.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey