All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

Post by jonbly »

This was slightly disappointing, but jonbly can't put his finger on why. Perhaps it was that fact that all the victims were deeply unlikeable, sleazebags and druggies? If jonbly doesn't feel an emotional connection to the characters, he doesn't care if they live or die... which makes most of this film pretty uninteresting, up to the point where the more likeable individuals are put at risk.

Not that it was a bad movie, mind you...

7/10
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane is currently my fave film of the weekend.
A good double bill with the previous film. In some ways it had less of the things that make me immediately like a film - college kids are often good fodder for a horror. If you hate them you want them killed, if you like them then the thrill comes from hoping they survive, but it is in the Heathers genre rather than the Mean Girls ... obviously.

All the boys fancy her, just like the title suggests, and after one shows his passion in a rather deadly fashion she finds new friends. But when they go to one's family ranch, someone with an unhealthy obsession follows them. The kids aren't lovable, but you don't go cheering on the serial killer because they are genuine kids rather than horror film cliche's. (Okay., some cliche-mongering occurs, but not glib, Scream-style).

Who will survive ? I am not going to say more - go and see it.
An added bonus is the marvellous soundtrack - featuring "One of us is Dead" by The Earlies to superb effect.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

A bit overhyped and didnt do any more or less than your average slasher film really.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

This is the one film that has been hyped. Good film but nothing special though. Rather enjoyed the film. Nicely placed with some good death scenes. The twist ending I thought was good. Did not see that one coming.

The other twist I thought be in the scene when Mandy Lane had the finger of the other girl in her mouth. Suggesting she may be a lesbian and hence her indifference to the boys who were after her.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

not sure that hyping always works with me as i tend to be more critical than maybe i would be otherwise especially if theres twists involved as i end up thinking too much....but i did enjoy it and was better than most teen/slasher movies
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Not keen on this one gotts say :(
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

I liked it. But, I am a boy, and as such it could have been 90 minutes of Mandy Lane playing chess and I still would have been happy.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

:lol:

True

I am a lady, that may explain it :lol:
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

really enjoyed this (better than Leslie Vernon) - one of the better slasher flicks of the last few years
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Maybe not quite matched all the hype, but I still really enjoyed this one! I didn't guess the twist at the end either...
First things first, stay calm.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

I'd seen this one before, and had guessed the twist half way through, but it's still a well-directed film, and as all the boys will testify, Mandy Lane was indeed pretty damn gorgeous to look at...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I enjoyed Mandy Lane, it was a good story, well-directed, and I didn't guess the twist ending at all (even up to the point where her 'friend' runs into her knife :oops: I thought she'd forgotten she was holding it...) :D

I couldn't really see why everyone loved Mandy so much, though, she just seemed generically pretty to me - I guess she was more desirable because she was seen as 'untouchable' and no-one knew anything about her. And although I'm female, Mr Scrobble felt the same way (he did say he'd rather do Victor Crowley, but I think that's a slight exaggeration)
VictorCrowley
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by VictorCrowley »

(he did say he'd rather do Victor Crowley, but I think that's a slight exaggeration)
Oh, why, thank you! :oops:

:lol:
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane seemed like an academic exercise to me. Let's make a generic slasher movie with all the "rules" in place - teens getting some s*x'n'drugs action in some remote location, a "nice" girl who doesn't quite fit in, a despised homicidal misfit, any s*xual activity leading to immediate death, even somebody finding all the bodies just before the end of the film. But let's do it in a serious/realistic way with better acting, more rounded characters and nice modern cinematography.

The film proved to me that realistic slasher movies don't work because (a) all that character development is extremely bloody boring and (b) it's no fun having realistic (i.e. non OTT) death scenes in which you find yourself actually feeling sorry for the characters. Give me Wrong Turn 2 every time.

Decent-ish twist at the end though.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I did like this but I don't think it's THAT great. It looks good, and I didn't see the twist coming.