Joshua

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Joshua

Post by AdeBrown »

A film of two halves, neither of them all that pleasing.
As the jealous older child, Joshua is a bit too precocious a child prodigy. This could have been much scarier with a normal child.
Besides the fact that they told us they loved each other, I dunno why the parents were together. And how they ended up with a brainy kid. I usually like Sam Rockwell, but he seemed a bit Carrey Lite in this.
Once Joshua's evil plot is expossed it becomes like "what if Michael Keaton in Pacific Heights was their son?"
And "it's a text book case of child abuse" made me laugh in it's lack of basis in the real world (lest we forget, Daddy has video evidence !") The ending was remeniscent of an old school film like Entertaining Mr Sloane or Harold and Maude. Beats Shrooms for current last place in my list - on account of Shrooms not really taking itself this seriously.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Pretty good - it managed to stay ambiguous for long enough to have various alternative explanations start to float around, which is fun.

On the down side, the end doesn't really work - having pretty much explained the situation to his uncle, one can't really see their relationship working out. And he should be smart enough to know that... the motivations needed to be explained to the audience, not the uncle.

7/10
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Thought this film was OK, I particularly liked the fact that at the end, I couldn't say I was 100% sure that Joshua was actually evil, or if it was all just made to look that way. Anyone else feel that way?
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

I had hoped for something a little more to happen , but having said that this was so subtle and ambigous it made a refreshing change from the norm.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Better than I thought it would be, but I would have liked a proper ending. It just felt like it needed more.

I loved the scenes when the dad and Joshua are alone in the flat (and the baby too) and the dad knows what Joshua's been up to.

Does anyone reckon the dad had been beating Joshua? I don't.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

couldn't get on with this at all found it way too long and dull
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Rather enjoyed this one. The boy Joshua I found rather unsettling almost like the brother of Damian! True about the points about Joshua about if he was evil or not. Liked the ambiguity. One that keeps you thinking.....
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

had a very odd feel to it...did make me think...mmmmmm...things are never quite what they seem and the scene in the park did creap me out alittle and yes the kid was played perfectly..enjoyd it
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Enjoyed this one - a bit slow moving but subtly done. A very creepy little kid, all that lets give teddy and the guinea pig a good passage to the afterlife ala the Egyptians - watch out Uncle Ned.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

lupogirl wrote:Rather enjoyed this one. The boy Joshua I found rather unsettling almost like the brother of Damian! True about the points about Joshua about if he was evil or not. Liked the ambiguity. One that keeps you thinking.....
I agree

good movie
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Really liked this a lot, an intelligent and subtle take on the "evil kid" genre. Richard Donner once said that he always conceived THE OMEN with the possibility that Damien might not actually be evil, that all the deaths were a mere coincidence that fed into the paranoia of the leading characters. This played on similar notions and left us in doubt as to whether the true problem was Joshua himself or his somewhat unhinged parents. Great performances and a nice line in black humour.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Was really surprised by this - one of the best of the festival - a strong story which keeps you guessing and superb performances by the two main characters of Joshua and his father
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

It was certainly a bit different, but I wasn't keen on this... never quite gelled for me.
First things first, stay calm.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

It was allright, but, dare i say it, a tad boring...

Had a few logic flaws in the story also, but it did finish on a high (low) note...

Probably put me off having kids for life...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I enjoyed this a lot while watching, although it didn't really stay with me afterwards for long. I thought Sam Rockwell's character was very good as the father who slowly realises what's going on, and the grandmother who got Joshua to 'find God' was perfectly drawn.