The Girl Next Door

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Girl Next Door

Post by jonbly »

Hard, hard film to watch.

One wonders why a film like this is made - will it get any kind of release? Can it possibly make back the production costs?

Scoring this one is problematic - it was very well made, believable and gripping - but it's not entertainment.

9/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Very tough to watch and rather unsettling.

Did enjoy it though, although considering the subject matter it feels rather odd typing that.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

A rather strong but worthwhile film to watch. Some great acting turns from the children especially. With a very moving bleak ending.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Probably the most truly horrible (in terms of subject matter) films I've ever seen. Very difficult to watch - and I totally understand why its reduced many viewers to tears - but at the same time time compelling. The fact that its based on the true story of the 1965 Sylvia Likens torture murder makes it even more appalling. Ketchums book was even more brutal than the movie.

The reviews on the website http://www.thegirlnextdoorfilm.com/ cover it very well - odd thing to say maybe but it portrays torture how it should be portrayed ... not for cheap thrills entertainment like "Hostel" but an abhorrent waste of a human life. The true horror for me was the "why the hell did no one do anything to stop it?"

Very well made and carried out but I'll never watch it again.
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

the most disturbing intense and harrowing film ive seen in a long while as with all the other films in frighfest i try not to read up and know everything there is to know about a film before i see it as it takes away the pleasure of watching a film unfold before me. having never read the book or even the real life case its based on although i knew of its subject matter and having since found out it doesnt even come close to what really happend this is going to stay with me for a very long time and made me ask myself questions such as..should i be watching this/should this have even be made and why have i paid money to sit in a cinema all w/e to watch people die alsorts of grizzly deaths answers to which i have no clue to...brilliant performances though
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Yeah, saw a couplpe of people actually crying on my way out of this movie...
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Not really sure what to make of this one. I did 'enjoy' it, but sometimes I felt like I was watching a channel 5 afternoon family drama made by satan, all it needed was Brian Dennehy to play the cop. I didn't think it was as harsh as a lot of people seemed to think - partly because, as DaveT said, the book is so much more brutal and unrelenting, it was actually something of a relief that the film wasn't as horrible as it could have been.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

xLeft For Deadx wrote: I felt like I was watching a channel 5 afternoon family drama made by satan.
lmao! :lol:
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

With the possible exception of THE ORPHANAGE, this was my favourite movie of this year's fest. Horror movies SHOULD scar and should be uncomfortable to watch. Not all horror movies, of course, because then where would the fun be? But i've always been most impressed by horror movies that make me relentlessly uneasy and engrave harrowing images into my brain that prove impossible to shake. This one, like a lot of "scarring" horror flicks, actually relied more on the power of suggestion than explicit images, and packed one helluva punch. I'm glad it got made, i am very glad i saw it and it has moments that will haunt me for the rest of my cinemagoing days. Outstanding performances too.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Jeez... that blow torch

*cringe*
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Yep, that blow torch moment is one of the scenes that will stay with me for a very long time. Great example of how powerful suggested violence can be. (Not that they could have ever staged such a scene explicitly and still get the film shown anywhere!!!)
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Exactly, we didn't see a thing there but the suggestion was bad enough!
stanley
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by stanley »

Outstanding Film. Like The Lost last year, it left me in a daze. The acting and direction was faultless. Deeply disturbing but a film that will be remembered by everyone who sees it for not only the story but the message that it gave.

Simply one of the best.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

One of the best of the festival - will stick in the memory for a long time!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

It prompted me to buy 2 Jack Ketchum books from forbidden planet on the tuesday before i went home!