Manhunt

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Manhunt

Post by jonbly »

Suffered a bit from a lack of originality, but very well realised. The death of the annoying boyfriend seemed a bit soft.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Think I'm suffering from "Hoods in the Woods" overload - Brit rednecks in the woods in Eden Lake (excellent movie), Spanish gun-toting junior rednecks the next day in King of the Hill (ok but I think I prefer the cartoon) and now Norwegian rednecks play "hack the drippy hippies" ?
The booby trap sprung after the blond girl freed the beardy boy was about the only original entertaining thing in this very unoriginal movie.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Slasher movies are not really my bag, so I wasn't crazy about this. But if that is your thing then this is a pitch-perfect recreation of a really nasty backwoods slasher movie from the 70s. So pitch-perfect that I think if I had stumbled across it on late night TV I might actually have thought I was watching a really nasty backwoods slasher movie from the 70s. So props to the filmmakers, they did exactly what they set out to do and it looked brilliant.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

MaxRenn wrote:So props to the filmmakers, they did exactly what they set out to do and it looked brilliant.
Yeah I agree, it looked far more professional and skilfully made than some of the other low-budget offerings over the weekend.

The problem I had with it was the way the hunters captured the kids then just left them to run in the woods. It felt like they were being watched all the time, with no possible chance to escape or fight back. So it was just a matter of waiting for them to be picked off like sitting ducks - the only tension was waiting for the gunshot. Unlike King Of The Hill, which felt much more like a proper chase.

As it turned out, the girl did manage to turn the tables and then it became a much better film.
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

Dissappointing.

Had quite high expectations for this one after the director had hyped it up as short, sharp, violent and to the point, but it seemed to take a long while to really get going, and once it didn't get going I'd seen it all before many times. Also the "bad guys" were particular dull, just huge Norweigan redneck oafs who never said a word. Overall it was very forgettable film and I doubt very much this is "the most gory movie ever to come out of Scandanavia"

4/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Instantly forgettable.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Not original but well made I felt.

Agree that the death of the abusive boyfriend was a wasted opportunity.

Shows what can be done with a low budget and it did look like film, not the HD it was shot on.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Pleasantly surprised by this, though it's yet more running around in the woods pursued by maniacs. Eden Lake 3, King Of The Hill 2. It's quite good, and I do like the way they've avoided the whole "no signal" thing by simply relocating everything to 1971. It actually looks and feels like a seventies movie, rather than a 2008 movie set in the seventies. Again, it's nothing that original, but it moves along efficiently and there's some agreeably crunchy violence.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I liked this one a lot.
Lovely to look at, and in the short space of time the four characters were established as 3 sympathetic ones and 1 idiot, and it was driven home that the attackers had no preferences other than being hunters.

If we are going to have lots of Deliverance fantasies (and I count the Strangers and Funny Games films in that genre) then this is the type I'd prefer.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Khouri
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Khouri »

Another one I really enjoyed. I think Saturday was my favourite day by far. I thought the film was well shot and I found it pretty creepy. It's also made me think twice about going to visit a friend in Norway incase he suggests a walk in the woods... :shock: I can't really fault this at all and the ending had a nice twist.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

A great film, some great moments like the ankle bit, barbwire ties and that ending where you know whats going to happen
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Not very original but this was enjoyable and the characters were good and the 78 minute running time worked well for this type of movie
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I enjoyed it. Much better than King of the Hill IMO. I liked the characters in this one.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Just different enough to stand out!

Loved it, annoying characters, beautiful setting, nightmarish atmosphere.

It was the look that stunned me, really gritty. And to do what they did with teh time and budget was nothing short of spectacular.

More please!!!
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Have to admit not really a memorable film.

At this point I was thinking"oh more running through the woods" Quite pleased the annoying boyfriend got bumped off. Shows you always need a dumb character in horror films. That you don't argue with a man pointing a loaded gun at you. Quite like the gory moments in this.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"