what are you reading?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

gregjames wrote:Just finished The Bighead by Edward Lee. A superb piece of work. Texas Chainsaw Massacre-style redneck horror with a deformed inbreed on the rampage in the backwoods. Innumerable acts of perverse and graphic violence. I can only recommend it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Want!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Hello Doris! wrote:
gregjames wrote:Just finished The Bighead by Edward Lee. A superb piece of work. Texas Chainsaw Massacre-style redneck horror with a deformed inbreed on the rampage in the backwoods. Innumerable acts of perverse and graphic violence. I can only recommend it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Want!
Blimey, that does look interesting... it has an illustrated version?!?

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/5419 ... oduct.html
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Necroscope

Post by maxmum »

Hello Doris! wrote:
buy it buy it! You wont regret it!! If you can't get it I may have a spare somewhere...
I will ! Thanks :D

OOO, 2 totally different reviews about that Bighead book on amazon, one guy hates it, one guy loves it interesting.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

maxmum wrote:
Hello Doris! wrote:
buy it buy it! You wont regret it!! If you can't get it I may have a spare somewhere...
I will ! Thanks :D

OOO, 2 totally different reviews about that Bighead book on amazon, one guy hates it, one guy loves it interesting.
I found it to be a very entertaining read myself and I give Edward Lee total respect for grossing me out on several occasions whilst reading it. I disagree with the review that says it's repetitive. The violence and the perverse scenes take up a lot of the novel but there was enough invention there to stop me getting bored.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Hello Doris! wrote:
It's ordered...it was cheaper to buy it in a set with 2 other iain rankin books for £4.99.

Looks like you read plenty Doris, can you recommend any good horror technology type stuff... like horror with nano technology and that kind of stuff?

I read Prey by Michael Crichton and loved that, and I picked up parasite eve (not got round to that yet though) wondered if you knew of anything else similar...... thanks in advance.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

gregjames wrote: I found it to be a very entertaining read myself and I give Edward Lee total respect for grossing me out on several occasions whilst reading it. I disagree with the review that says it's repetitive. The violence and the perverse scenes take up a lot of the novel but there was enough invention there to stop me getting bored.
I shall try that then, might wait for a price drop first though... a whole £15! :lol:
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

maxmum wrote:
Hello Doris! wrote:
It's ordered...it was cheaper to buy it in a set with 2 other iain rankin books for £4.99.

Looks like you read plenty Doris, can you recommend any good horror technology type stuff... like horror with nano technology and that kind of stuff?

I read Prey by Michael Crichton and loved that, and I picked up parasite eve (not got round to that yet though) wondered if you knew of anything else similar...... thanks in advance.
erms.... Lets me have a think or a look on my bookshelf! :lol:

What other Iain Banks did you get? The Bridge is excellent, as is Crow Road. I have two copies of that, so you can always have one.
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

maxmum wrote:
gregjames wrote: I found it to be a very entertaining read myself and I give Edward Lee total respect for grossing me out on several occasions whilst reading it. I disagree with the review that says it's repetitive. The violence and the perverse scenes take up a lot of the novel but there was enough invention there to stop me getting bored.
I shall try that then, might wait for a price drop first though... a whole £15! :lol:
I love Edward Lee!! I have all his books and he has a very distinct style, very balls to the wall horror!!

I have just got 'Let The Right One In' as i loved the film so much i want to read the book! 8)
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

It was this one

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/5925 ... oduct.html

whit and crow road in it too.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Good choices!

You will love them!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

capthowdy66 wrote:
I love Edward Lee!! I have all his books and he has a very distinct style, very balls to the wall horror!!
The only thing I have read by Edward Lee was his story in the 'Traige' book, have you read that?

Three stories based around the same idea, one by Jack Ketchum, one by Edward Lee and one by Richard Laymon.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

maxmum wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote:
The only thing I have read by Edward Lee was his story in the 'Traige' book, have you read that?

Three stories based around the same idea, one by Jack Ketchum, one by Edward Lee and one by Richard Laymon.
Yes i have that book, funnily enough it was what introduced me to Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum as my favourite author was Richard Laymon!!
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

capthowdy66 wrote:
maxmum wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote:

Yes i have that book, funnily enough it was what introduced me to Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum as my favourite author was Richard Laymon!!
Aye, the three bad boys of American horror. Shame that Laymon's no longer with us. Flesh is one of my favourites.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

When I was in London for the Spring Awakening I picked up a copy of Nightmare USA. My copy of Shock Festival arrived this morning.

Have two books that I started reading and then have left alone and unloved for a couple of weeks: Stephen King's Duma Key (was quite enjoying it until the plot started getting bogged down) and David Simon's [/b]Homicide - A Year on the Killing Streets (it's quite interesting to see where the characters in Homicide and The Wire came from, but I've found the book difficult to get in to as the timeline is all over theplace and it keeps going off on tangents).
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

Did any of you guys know that Guillermo del Toro has written a novel. It is called The Strain and is part of a trilogy. It will be published at the end of May.

I also now have my copy of 'Handling the Dead' by Lindqvist. Can't wait to start reading- but have to finish marking all my A level coursework first. It will be an end of marking treat.