Thriller / Making Thriller

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Thriller / Making Thriller

Post by streetrw »

When Thriller was shown at the Prince Charles back in March (before Michael Jackson died) all Jackson's lines about "I'm not like other guys" were greeted with knowing laughter. Maybe it's because he's now dead that there wasn't laughter at those lines this time. Personally I can take or leave Thriller - I was never a Jackson fan, but I'll acknowledge the choreography and effects here.

The "Making Of" doc was fairly interesting for the backstage stuff (although it probably didn't tell us much we didn't know, it's always good the see the FX crews in action) but unfortunately kept cutting to overly extended clips from other Jackson videos, sometimes in the middle of a sentence.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

GOOSEBUMPS!!!

Not a jackson fan but you could see the talent that's gone gone gone :(
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

I like the early Jackson stuff, but I think that Thriller was the last decent thing Michael Jackson did - after that was when he started getting a bit shite. But I loved seeing the Thriller video on the big screen, that was great fun, and the making of was interesting too - I hadn't seen that in years.

Shame it went on so late though - I had to bail on Black as there was just no way I could have stayed up for another two hours, with an hour's night bus journey still to go.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

This was a fantastic treat.. thanks John Landis and Frightfest!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
i-went-to-frightfest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by i-went-to-frightfest »

i dont think i had ever really seen the full length thriller video so seeing it on the big screen like that for essentially the 1st time even after all this time it was very impressive not just for the music but the effects and overall direction by landis
seeing the making of was very entertaining and gave alittle more insight into to not just landis but baker and jackson and yes ok maybe alittle too many full length music videos but overall fascinating and went to show how great a director landis is and the genius of rick baker
macready
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by macready »

It was nice to see these on the big screen despite the VHS quality, but I was shocked at how much filler seemed to be in the documentary. A song or video gets mentioned and we get a 2-3 minute clip before the conversation resumes...
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

Had no interest in this at all and think it would have been better on earlier in the day.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Had seen this tons of times in my youth as it's one of the main 'behind the scenes' films which convinced me I wanted to become a make-up artist.

At this time of night though it didn't feel nostalgic and could have done without it to be honest.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Great to see on the big screen (and in the whole making of Landis is always smiling too!), the strangest element had to be one of the MJ fans commenting on how down to earth he was... :shock:
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

macready wrote:It was nice to see these on the big screen despite the VHS quality, but I was shocked at how much filler seemed to be in the documentary. A song or video gets mentioned and we get a 2-3 minute clip before the conversation resumes...
Yeah, could've done without the big advert for Michael Jacksons back catalogue.