Paranormal Activity

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
PatrolDave
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolDave »

The whole film was a solid, tense build-up to a shit scary thirty seconds at the end.
I have a trailer and everything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1S-qvSjrY
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Paranormal Activity

Post by sherbetbizarre »

mga76 wrote:I have to disagree with the complaints about the audio cue spoiling the fact something was about to happen, if anything I thought this heightened the tension.
I agree - for me it heightened the sense of dread.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Great movie very tense, I don't know about you but I would be shutting that flipping bedroom door! I couldn't stop staring down that hallway!

I didn't notice any music in the movie at all.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

The sound when the time stamp came on did add tension, you knew something was going to happen but not what.

Apparently a sequel has now been Greenlit, hopefully we'll have a new family to terrorise. Perhaps something that IS actually sinister and better explained.

We still don't know why the thing attached itself to Katie, or did I miss that completely?
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Satans Puppy wrote:We still don't know why the thing attached itself to Katie, or did I miss that completely?
No, just as we don't know why these things happen in real life either.

If it started to "explain" anything then it would cross-over into complete fiction and lessen the impact.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Yeah but it already seemed like fiction as the couple didn't seem to have a job but lived in this house and bought that nifty camera!!!! :lol:

Why didn't they work?!?!?
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Ok, you got me there :)
Rufus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rufus »

Satans Puppy wrote:Why didn't they work?!?!?
The bloke said that he was a day trader and that the camera cost half what he made in a day. So I suppose he was day-trading when he wasn't filming or something.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Oh Rufus! You're a star....

So she's a woman of leisure? I want to be a Puppy of leisure... :(

Except, I'd not like to have the haunting. One thing I did like was as the thing started to unnerve the couple, the fighting began and as the fighting started, things began to escalate.

Although you can't say he didn't deserve what he got, he just wouldn't leave things alone.

odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

I did like this.

I disagree with the comments about the 'noise' warning of forthcoming happenings as we knew we were supposed to be watching edited camera footage of this particular haunting so surely we knew all night time bedroom shots would contain scary stuff from the off?

Will definitely see this again with friends and a 'regular' cinema audience who will I think be more freaked out than us hardened horror lot.

Agree with those on the watching at home thing. I really think if I had just come across this movie knowing little about it and watched on my own at home (as I do most of my horror) I would have had trouble getting into bed and sleeping.

I really do need to follow lupogirl in avoiding trailer watching altogether as it really did spoil some of it having watched it beforehand.

All in all a good scary film. Only down side is I thought of a film like this about six years ago after watching a very spooky documentary on people who felt they were attacked in their sleep by unseen forces. It scared me an awful lot. Was narrated by Bill Paterson and contained lots of spooky CCTV footage and at the end a terrifying EVP recording. Could have been rich beyond my wildest dreams, doh!
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I was a bit dissappointed with this one, I didn't find it scary in the slightest, for me it's been over hyped. The only 2 vaguely scary bits were the bit where the girl gets dragged out of the room, and the bit at the very end.

imo The Blair Witch Project did this far better and far more effectively....and that WAS ten years ago!
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Ooh, I just found that documentary online - it's actually called The Entity (and no not the film!) and is was shown on the beeb in 2002.
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

Quite enjoyed this but as usual, no where near as good as the hype is making it out to be.
I thought the set up was very well done and the relationship between the principle two was great and believable. There were a couple of moments when i was thinking "who on earth is supposedly meant to be doing the filming at this point?" but I can ignore those minor hiccups.
I think it would play better to a non-hardened horror crowd as feeding off everyone elses nervousness and jumps would work better - I felt we were a little muted in reaction to it.
Also, I would have said that most of the big jumps (particularly the ending) had already been absolutely ruined for anyone who has actually seen the trailer.
ghostdog
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ghostdog »

i preferred the screener ending...

that said - apart from being a very clever way of spending $11k it didn't really scare me. I can vouch for there being more tension to watching it alone at home - it plays better on ur imagination for sure... there's something quite safe about a couple of hundred people in a cinema!

it could happen to YOU!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Puppy she said she was a college student. You really didn't pay attention did you!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!