Paranormal Activity

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Paranormal Activity

Post by soulmining »

So, I sadly missed the all-nighter this year due to work commitments and having seen a couple of the films already... but this was the one film that I really wanted to see.

Did it live up to the hype?
First things first, stay calm.
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

Films hardly ever live up to the hype.

We saw this last night though not at the all-nighter and I am undecided whether I like it or not. I like the idea, because that kinda shit freaks me out in reality but the fact that its being used alongside Most Haunted Live is not good.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Yeah I had heard that too.

I loved it, took me back to my favourite horror film and that is The Entity. Obviously the lack of sexual attacks is the key difference between the two but I felt it was really well made and scared the hell out of me.

It's good to see something different and something that isn't a bloody remake.

My only gripe was he background music that started up just as something bad was gonna happen, there was no need. And also as a film that required it's audience to stay quiet, that could be interesting when it gets a general release if the general public can actually remain quite enough so you can hear what is going on.

All in all a great scary film
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

I totally agree with krispyg. There was no need for the background sounds (like wind blowing) when something was about to happen, it made it less surprising when something does happen. The impact of the scares affected me more when it was in total silence.

I did enjoy it a lot, quite a few creepy moment that sent my hairs stand on end, and the effects worked very well. I would like to know more about the various changes they made to get to the version we just watched. Anybody with any information?
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Really enjoyed this one. Love the slow build up and very atmospheric. Also playing on your imagination of whether you saw something in the shadows. I think the budget was nine thousand pounds. Just shows how simple effective and creepy the film was. The only gripe would be the Ringesque ending of her clambering into the camera. Like the boyfriend's body being thrown into the camera. That certainly made me jump.

Also the audience were completely quite. Once the film finished, there was nervous laughter afterwards. Just shows how spooked the audience was!

I probably be really spooked if I watched it on my own at home!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

I think I saw a different ending to you guys? I have seen the trailer where the guy gets thrown into the camera but this doesnt happen on the version I saw? Dont wanna give any spoilers though, but itll be interesting to know the different endings!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Yeah, the old screener has a more subtler ending...
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

blair witch project in a house sums it up ,with some entity thrown in.
Still its a chiller that works and is one of those movies that really does scare the audience,a crowd pleaser for sure.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

Information on the different endings:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/30/paran ... ler-alert/

Obvious ending spoiler alert if you choose to view it. 8)
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I loved it beofre the movie when Paul was like to the cinema-technician-guy

''Turn up the volume to 7!!''

And I'm glad they did.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Really enjoyed this although I think the reaction will be mixed - I also think this will work even better at home - late night screening just before bedtime!

:shock:
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

I liked it but it didn't live up to the hype, helped me as I've got two mates who are exactly like the couple in the film except without the unfortunate haunting :lol:

Nah, I agree with the background noise but you knew the moment those lights went out, you'd need to brace yourself :) Something WAS going to happen and it certainly had me tensing in my seat. It's just unfortunate that the trailer feels the need to show EVERY single scare bar one that the film has to offer...
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I love films that make me jump and that really do terrify me. The fact that this could be real, it could happen to me or you makes it even more disturbing.

I disagree with the comment regarding viewing at home, I personally feel this would be better seen in the cinema. Plus i don't think it's a film that the missus would even watch with me, so far for a non horror fan she has got through Let The Right One In and Scream, trust me I will get there...

I will definitly go and see it again at the cinema!
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

i really enjoyed this and i felt there was a great deal of suspense built up in the room throughout this film. i would like to see some of the other cuts that have been made, maybe the ending was a bit OTT. i thought the acting was good and an original idea for a low budget film
mga76
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Paranormal Activity

Post by mga76 »

Great film! Not really my type of horror, I'm always concerned it's going to be an anti-climax. Not so with this, the tension built well and it was a good ending. I have to disagree with the complaints about the audio cue spoiling the fact something was about to happen, if anything I thought this heightened the tension. You're already aware as the clock slows down to realtime, having been been speeding through the hours between them going to bed and the demon 'appearing'.