Primal

The movies of 2010 still live
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Primal

Post by streetrw »

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun and pleasantly nasty. If I had to pick holes in it, I'd say that the CG work towards the end wasn't up to par, and could have probably been done with prosthetics or animatronics (or stuff on wires). And as for That Word that is the film's running gag and final punchline - I've never found that context they were harping on about. Enjoyed it still.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Another fun film - better than I had expected - reminded me a bit of 'The Ruins' in terms of style
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Thought it was fun, but really not sure the laughs were all intentional ;)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
ed.
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by ed. »

Was really not looking forward to this one, saw the trailer and it looked terrible. Within the first 10 minutes I was really enjoying it. Best film of the opening night for me and so much better than I thought it would be. The script really stood out, genuinely funny, I’m pretty sure the one-liners in the latter half were intentional as the first half had been put together so well.
Didn't think it not being original offering anything new affected it really. Thought the script and tentacle rape was enough to bring it above a lot of films in this vein.
8/10
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Probably the best film of the night for me, dodgy acting, poor dialogue, terrible CGI and a poor plot but it was fun for what it was.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

Maniacal wrote:Probably the best film of the night for me, dodgy acting, poor dialogue, terrible CGI and a poor plot but it was fun for what it was.
Before the festival I ear marked this as being the worst film of the night based on the trailers or write ups, it turned out to be the best film of the night for me too, although it was a poor crop that evening...
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

After 15min I thought I would hate this. That caveman opening sequence? Doesn't got much worse than that, looked like something out of a students project. Luckily enough soon after that this one got much, much better and really enjoyable to watch.
The dialogues were hilarious and the plot as stupid as it gets but as the movie didn't take itself seriously it worked out perfect in the end. I thought the special effects weren't that bad at all and some of the moments prizeless, especially the first discussion on who should do the kill.
When they set up this trap it almost reminded me of an McGyver episode :)
7/10
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Liked the setting, nicely paced. Again some good deaths. Even though it had some cheap effects it was still a enjoyable watch. Shame they showed too much of the CGI monster at the end.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

A pleasant surprise. Way better than I was expecting it to be. Nothing particularly original, but good fun nonetheless.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Plenty of laughs and some good gore sequences made this the best film of the night. I thought the interesting angle at the end may divide audience opinion. Perhaps it is a little out of keeping with the rest of the film, but I welcomed the twist as it was a little bit different to the norm. My only real quibble is that the infected girl wasn't always the most convincing. Overall an entertaining movie. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

it was the movie that showed first of the recurrent themes this year - bad, bad, bad dialogue (and i don't think that half of this was intentional). completely ludicrous actions of characters (some with intent, some rather not, again). but action sequences were quite dynamic and that slug thing at the end was ok.

still, why would anybody rave about last line? seriously?
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

I was really enjoying this film until I saw the monster in the cave and it ruined it for me. It was brilliant up until that bit.
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

Better than I thought it would be, but not as good as it could have been. I thought the 'primal' creatures were just not that scary, and I was enjoying the tension in the build-up far more than the stuff with the creatures. Oh and the poor CGI was a bit of a bummer. Cracking final line though, but in retrospect I am wondering if the whole film was a shaggy-dog story, in which the only reason for the events in the film was purely to give the C word context!

Still, it had its moments, but wasn't anything special. Not quite as good as Hatchet 2 in my opinion, but as others have stated previously, this wasn't exactly the strongest opening night we've had either.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I enjoyed what I saw of this movie, but unfortunately missed the first 3/4 of an hour due to the signing debacle after Hatchet 2. Please organisers, let the talent sign first and do the press junket after. The press are not going anywhere but the festival attendees want to be able to see the films they have paid to watch. Thank you.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Primal

Post by daveroughcut »

Probably more fun to watch at FF than at home cause this is frankly rubbish.