Primal

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Primal

Post by jonbly »

jonbly really enjoyed this one... good pace throughout, all the characters were really believable, and most of the effects worked really well.

Let down a bit at the end by dodgy CGI, but still...

8/10
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Primal

Post by djwoody »

Best film of the night and a pleasant surprise.
mark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by mark »

this is the kind of film I love to see at Frightfest. I went in with no knowledge of the plot, no expectations and had 2 rip-roaring hours of fun. An excellent little film that does nothing particularly new, but keeps things moving along and a cracking pace, great cast, gloopy effects, and a great final line. Nice one!
damatotomato
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by damatotomato »

This started off a bit dodgy - I was kind of expecting (hoping for) a film like The Descent. Straight away - with a nearly nude fat caveman drawing pictures on a cave - it was obvious this had a very small budget, and the opening scenes with the kids in the car had no heart, just chatter, boring chatter, and then .....

it just sort of became great !!! The kids started to get personalities. The guy with the guitar was a riot. And the screaming woman - dear god can she scream - was just, well, astonishing!! Never since Chris Lee donned fangs has a baddie been so menacing - she flew through the air with the greatest of unease, screaming, screaming, fangs bared. And when she bit - oh boy, did the blood flow.

I loved that cave. I loved how they saved going in to that cave till the end of the movie. It was like a big tease, fabulous foreplay, and then the moment arrived - we go in, and there was a scene rather like that found in Galaxy of Terror, and Evil Dead. I thought it was well done. The CGI was slightly ropey in the tentacly department, but the main attraction was, again- a riot. Well realised. Hilarious. Gruesome - what that woman did to herself, aaghhh. I won't say any more. No spoilers. And the location shooting was fabulous - also, I loved how the light changed to a dawn glow towards the end; just so subtle. A nice touch. If you haven't seen this film, see it. The end death had a deserved cheer as did the end line. GIve this film a chance - it's a real crowd-pleaser and takes a while to get going. Sort of (I say sort of because actually, there are no slow moments, just a rise in confidence as the movie goes on). We were introduced to the film with the words 'I hope you enjoy it' - we did, oh boy did we. No wonder the film had a hugely affectionate round of applause at the end - it was, for once, deserved. Warning: you can't really laugh out loud at the moments you are not supposed to and mock this movie. You will just end up watching it and loving it. And laaughing at the right bits and jumping at the scariest bits. Primal will give any horror fan a nice warm glow. Like horror films should...

dt
DAMATOTOMATO GIVES THIS MOVIE 4 BALLS OF BLOOD OUT OF 5: O O O O
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

I got quite distracted by my gaydar going off for most of the movie.

We were supposed to believe that Chad was in love with Mel. All I could think was "there is no way that he is in love with a woman."

If he'd supposedly been in love with Dace? That I'd have believed.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

Agree with the above guys. This unknown gem wiped the floor with Hatchet 2 and Dead Cert...and I do like these one word endings :)
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I thought I had seen the trailer for Primal before watching this.

But it turns out it was the wrong trailer I had seen, and for another horror movie called Primal :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIXq7_qzfSU
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

I was debating whether to see this or not but really glad I did - best film of the day and kicked the other two into touch
Morbid_Angel
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Morbid_Angel »

Agree with pretty much everything already said. A solid horror that didn't take itself too seriously and I thought the make up was excellent with the scary teeth etc. Just a shame they decided to stick in a really cheap looking CGI slug-monster at the end which, for me, took the edge off a highly enjoyable film.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

okay, so the storyline was stupid and clichéd, the CGI was crap and most of the characters were idiots....but this was just such a FUN FUN FUN film none of that mattered and i completely enjoyed it!!!

Not sure whether some of the hilarious lines ("she needs help" etc) were actually intended to be serious or not, but it really didn't matter!

a nice trashy gem in between 2 stinkers on the Thursday night.
Last edited by Wolfshade on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Heiko »

Not really sure where to put this one...

For some parts the 'Primals' just weren't primal enough, which gave the movie a bit of a lacking feeling...

on the other hand there were so many good onliners (assuming they were planned and not just involuntary results of a bad script :-P) so that movie had that bit of good bad B flick feel.

And it had tentacle sex! And we all know the world needs more non-Anime tentacle sex! ;-)

So yeah, not grand but definitely better than Hatchet II.
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

Also thought the opening 10 mins was really dodgy, just had too much of the feel of the millions of no-budget teenagers go somewhere isolated and get killed straight-to-DVD films that are out there. However, once they got to the camp & things started happening I thought it was great, easily the best film of the opening night. All the characters seemed believable, and that enabled them to have a couple of really intense & uncomfortable scenes (especially the first attempted knifing) ... but it also kept the humour pretty much throughout, and had lots of cathartic laughs to stop it becoming too depressing. A really enjoyable film, and nice to see film-makers can still do fun stuff with a genre that's been done countless times before.

Weirdly, though, I did have trouble understanding their accents a few times in the film ... never had trouble with australian accents before, maybe it was the sound.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Wolfshade wrote:Not sure whether some of the hilarious lines ("she needs help" etc) were actually intended to be serious or not.
I'm saying they WERE intended to be serious and this movie was ludicrous :P
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

STun wrote:I thought I had seen the trailer for Primal before watching this.

But it turns out it was the wrong trailer I had seen, and for another horror movie called Primal :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIXq7_qzfSU
I wouldn't have minded if I'd seen this one instead! Both seem to have a lot of exaggerated leaping about and a cave.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

I found this film really mediocre, with nothing new to offer to a very bloated genre. it didn't really make any sense and they didn't even try to explain any of it. Maybe a director's cut would help explain things. One plus point, the make up was good